Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Problems installing cPanel 70 on CentOS 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kennerty, May 11, 2018.

1. kennerty

kennerty Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi everyone,

I'm no stranger to installing cPanel but this problem has had me stumped all day.

I'm trying to install cPanel on a fresh Hetzner Cloud Server with CentOS 7.4.1708 minimal at the start.

During the installation, /etc/centos-release gets updated to "CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core)"

Towards the end of the installation, all the /etc/*release* files are being deleted and I have an error when trying to log into WHM.

A fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive.
    Template::Exception:
    [TYPE]=[plugin]
    [INFO]=[exit level [die] [pid=18628] (Cannot open file /etc/redhat-release)
    ]
    [TEXT]=[]
    at /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/526/lib64/perl5/cpanel_lib/x86_64-linux-64int/Template/Context.pm line 514.
    Template::Context::throw(Template::Context=HASH(0x268a960), "plugin", "exit level [die] [pid=18628] (Cannot open file /etc/redhat-re"...) called at /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/526/lib64/perl5/cpanel_lib/x86_64-linux-64int/Template/Context.pm line 202
    Template::Context::plugin(Template::Context=HASH(0x268a960), "Whostmgr") called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Template.pm line 463
    Cpanel::Template::process_template("whostmgr", HASH(0x2667a10)) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Whostmgr/HTMLInterface.pm line 111
    Whostmgr::HTMLInterface::starthtml() called at whostmgr/bin/whostmgr3.pl line 187
    main::initial_setup_wizard1("initial_setup_wizard1") called at /usr/local/cpanel/Whostmgr/Dispatch.pm line 227
    Whostmgr::Dispatch::_do_call("initial_setup_wizard1", HASH(0x2653350), HASH(0x26677d0)) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Whostmgr/Dispatch.pm line 144
    Whostmgr::Dispatch::dispatch("initial_setup_wizard1", 1, ARRAY(0x26673e0)) called at whostmgr/bin/whostmgr3.pl line 164

YUM is also broken now with the following error:
    Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: EA4/$releasever/x86_64

I can fix the WHM login issue by putting back the /etc/*release files with previously backed up versions, and I can fix the repo baseurl issue by replacing $releasever with "c7", but it's not an installation I feel comfortable using in production.

Any ideas why I'm getting these problems during installation, and how do I fix it?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @kennerty,

We have another report of this happening during the conversion from CentOS to CloudLinux. Can you verify if you are directly installing cPanel on a minimal CentOS instance, or as part of CloudLinux?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kennerty

kennerty Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi @cPanelMichael,

I'm installing on minimal CentOS.

I had actually tried to install CloudLinux first, but that failed almost instantly, and the /etc/*release files got deleted. Now I see they have disabled the conversion until support is provided for CentOS 7.5 on Monday.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @kennerty,

Can you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look at the affected system? You can post the ticket number here and we'll link the forums thread to it.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kennerty

kennerty Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
  6. kennerty

kennerty Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    @cPanelJoshua was on the case straight away and came up with a work around.

The issue is actually due to the CloudLinux license, in part.

The cPanel installer will automatically take note of CloudLinux on the license, and try installing it too. Right now there's no CloudLinux 7.5, though our partners note it should be released pretty soon.

That being the case, the conversion fails going from CentOS 7.4 to CloudLinux 7.5.

Right now the work-around is to install it on CloudLinux 7.4, or, run it on CentOS 7.4 and use the --skip-cloudlinux flag during installation:

cd /home && curl -o latest -L https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest && sh latest --skip-cloudlinux

cPanelMichael likes this.
  7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @kennerty,

Thank you for sharing the outcome of the support ticket. I'll monitor the internal case (CPANEL-20406) and update this thread with the outcome once it's closed.

Thank you.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

To update, CloudLinux version 7.5 is now published. This will allow the cPanel installer to finish successfully when a CloudLinux licensed IP is detected.

Thank you.