intelcorei7

Jul 3, 2018
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello, I am new to cPanel. I would appreciate if you could help me to get started.

I installed CentOS as a virtual machine under Ubuntu Linux 18 using the procedure described in:

thegeeky.space/2015/06/how-to-install-centos-in-ubuntu-virtualbox-steps-by-steps-for-dummies.html
Then, I installed cPanel using the procedure described in:

tecmint.com/install-cpanel-whm-in-centos-7/

At the beginning of the installation, it asked me to disable to network manager. Please refer to the steps I took in Q3 below.

After waiting for a long time for installation, I typed the following command exactly on Firefox:

http://SERVER_IP:2087

Then I found that I have no internet connection.

Could you please let me know the following?

Q1. Could you please let me know what to do?

Q2. I used the steps described in: tecmint.com/install-cpanel-whm-in-centos-7/

I did not choose this site for specific reason. I just googled ways to install cPanel. Are the steps described in this site correct? It asked me to set the hostname as follows:

hostnamectl set-hostname cpanel.tecmint.lan

I just followed this command blindly. Not sure if I should set the hostname to something else.

Q3. At the beginning of the cPanel installation, it asked me to disable the network manger. I followed the steps in:

How to Disable Network Manager - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

In Step.3, I found that I had no ifcfg-eth0 file but I had ifcfg-lo file. In the ifcfg-lo file, I could not find NM_CONTROLLED=no but ONBOOT=yes along with other commands. So, I did not modify the two files and proceed to Step 4.

Q4. I have tried Minimal Install, Server with GUI and GNOME Desktop as Base Environment during the installation of CentOS. All ended up with the same issue of losing internet access after installation of Cpanel. Actually, which Base Environment should I choose to install CentOS if I want to install Cpanel software and log into WHM to create a website?

Thanks

intelcorei7

Jul 3, 2018
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Sorry when I posted, I made a typo. Anyway, I am almost done. In Step.14 of:

How to Install cPanel and WHM in CentOS 7

After I chose "Use file system quotas" and clicked "Finish Setup Wizard", the WHM's home page did not show up. Instead, I got the following error:

Under "cPanel License Activation"

"Cannot Read License File

To access the interface, you must install the license and ensure that the license is active.

The cPanel license server said that a license could not be issued for your server (500). For more information visit: Legal Notices - cPanel Inc. The exact message was: Your clock is too far off NIST time. (205.189.187.4)"

I went to that website but could not find useful information. Typing "/usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt" did not help.

Could you please let me know what to do next?

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider

intelcorei7

Jul 3, 2018
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks. I followed the advice on that page and ran:

yum install ntp
ntpdate time.apple.com

Then, I opened a firefox browser and re-entered my IP address with :2087 at the end. Next, I got a "Cannot Read License" error. It states that "The cPanel license server said that a license could not be issued for your server (500). For more information, visit: Legal Notices - cPanel Inc. The exact message was: No license entry found for your machine."

At the bottom, I clicked "request a trial license". I entered my email address and got an email. The email just read "It's time to activate your 15-day cPanel & WHM license". Clicking "Install My Free Trial" just showed:

cd /home && curl -o latest -L https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest && sh latest

which I did in separate steps. The installation instruction does not mention about the license file and the email did not come with a license file. How does it work?

intelcorei7

Jul 3, 2018
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello Lauren, I just opened a ticket. Thanks
I got an automatic reply asking me to grant access. I am using a laptop with triple boots. I need to boot into linux and then run a virtual machine with CentOS. So, the virtual machine is not available all the time. What shall I do then?

Last edited: