The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems loading Horde via webmail (IMAP)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by junglecat, Dec 8, 2007.

1. junglecat

junglecat Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    I searched this forum and couldn't find any posts addressing my problem.

I have WHM 11.2.0 cPanel 11.11.0-S16999
    FEDORA 4 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

I've been accessing horde fine until earlier today, when everything went haywire.

First I started getting this error:

Login failed because your username or password was entered incorrectly

I reset passwords, but that didn't fix it. So I reset horde, still didn't fix it. I fixed horde database, didn't fix it. So I forced a cpanel update (stable), and started getting a new error. This was at the top of horde:

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/imp/lib/IMAP/Client.php on line 257

Notice: fwrite() [function.fwrite]: send of 28 bytes failed with errno=32 Broken pipe in /usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/imp/lib/IMAP/Client.php on line 173

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/imp/lib/IMAP/Client.php on line 257

I came here and searched, saw some similar problems, but didn't find a fix. So I forced a cpanel update (release this time), and started getting different errors. Seems like the errors keep changing everytime I close out horde and try to get in there again. I either get a blank white page, or the page just sits there loading and never does anything, or I get this error again:

Login failed because your username or password was entered incorrectly

I tried accessing my mail from squirrel mail instead, but when I went in there and subscribed to the folders I need to access, they come up as empty. If they are empty, then I don't know how they got that way.

What else can I try to fix webmail?
  2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Troubleshooting when Horde is affected by IMAP server unavailability

I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to provide a few suggestions as there appears to be limited information about the specific messages involved that were displayed upon loading Horde. As an example, here is a variation of the same diagnostic PHP messages that may be presented in Horde:
    Notice: fwrite() [function.fwrite]: send of 13 bytes failed with errno=32 Broken pipe in /usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/imp/lib/IMAP/Client.php on line 173
    In the above case, we found the issue was caused by a simple misconfiguration of the mail server (Courier/Dovecot) in that the number of IMAP and POP3 connections were abnormally restricted by having allotted just one connection per IP address; however, keep in mind that this is not the only possible cause, as the aforementioned diagnostic messages in Horde may be exhibited when the IMAP mail server is unavailable, which may be due to any number of potential circumstances.

If you experience a symptom like the above, please consider trying the following steps -- one-at-a-time -- while ensuring to re-test and verify if the problem still exists after each corrective measure that is attempted:
    1. Which IMAP/POP3 mail server software is being used, Courier or Dovecot? This information is helpful to know before proceeding. The following command, entered via root SSH access, will confirm if the IMAP and POP3 mail server is set to Courier, Dovecot, or "disabled":
      # /scripts/setupmailserver --current
    2. Is the mail server actively running? Try the following to check the IMAP server status and or perform a restart (via root SSH access):
      # /scripts/restartsrv_imap --status
      # /scripts/restartsrv_imap --check
      # /scripts/restartsrv imap
    3. Are there any errors logged by the mail server? While Horde may show unexpected messages, it will help to also check if there may be any additional information logged by the (IMAP and POP3) mail server, that is, logged by Courier or Dovecot. Try monitoring the applicable log file for new messages by using a command like the following (via root SSH access):
      # tail -fvn0 /var/log/maillog
    4. Is the Courier or Dovecot configuration customized? Inspect the (Courier or Dovecot) mail server configuration and reset it to stock-default values using WebHost Manager (WHM) via the following menu path (with linked documentation):
    5. If all other steps have not yet helped, try forcing an update or re-install of applicable software, one-at-a-time, while ensuring to test and verify if the problem may be fixed after each re-install; the following commands may be entered via root SSH or console access:
      • Force an update or re-install of cPanel:
        # /scripts/upcp --force
      • Force an update of and reset Horde:
        # /scripts/fullhordereset
      • Force a re-install of the IMAP and POP3 mail server, that is, either Courier or Dovecot, and ensure conversion to maildir:
        # /scripts/setupmailserver --force courier
        # /scripts/setupmailserver --force dovecot