The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems on CPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by erica.fernandes, Apr 14, 2011.

1. erica.fernandes

erica.fernandes Registered

Hi,
    I am new CPanel user, and I am having troubles. I am getting an error message "Brute Force Attempt" everytime I try to click in any icon inside CPanel. I am able to login into home page, but from them, I can't.
    Has anyone ever got this error? How can this be solved?
    I have already opened a ticket inside CPanel support, but I got no information regarding my issue.
    Is there anyone who can help me? I have already read this Forum is not for getting help, but I don't know what else can I do, or someone who can help me.
    Thanks so much

2. rscalover

rscalover Member

Hello,

Depending on how you are hosted you can (or can't) solve this yourself.I think cPHulkd is blocking your access if you can access WHM(this is not CPanel) then goto Security => Security Center cPHulkd and whitelist yourself.Accessing WHM requirers root privileges

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you can get shell access, you can clear the cphulkd database using the following commands as root:

Code:
    #/usr/local/cpanel/etc/init/stopcphulkd
    # /usr/local/cpanel/etc/init/
    # mysql cphulkd
    mysql> delete from brutes;
    mysql> quit;
    If you cannot access the server via SSH, you will need to ask someone who can access the shell as root to do this for you. You may need to ask for help from your data center, since they will have physical access to the server via the console.

This will stop cPHulkd and clear its database of brute-force attempts, and should allow you access to the WebHost Manager and cPanel. You can then enable or disable cPHulkd, and whitelist your own IP address, by clicking Main >> Security Center >> cPHulk Brute Force Protection in the WebHost Manager. You can get your own IP address, the one that you should whitelist, by browsing http://www.cpanel.net/apps/myip/ .

Do you mind sharing the ticket ID of the ticket that you submitted to our support staff? I would like to follow up on it and see what assistance we can provide.

4. JayFromEpic

JayFromEpic Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please let us know if what Jared advised works. If not, we can find alternative steps to take.

5. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can rec-configure the Brute force configuration from WHM. WHM >> Security Center >> cPhulk Brute Force Protection