The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems tagging spam mails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sceilig, Oct 27, 2004.

1. sceilig

sceilig Member

Oct 1, 2004
    I am unable to get mails tagged as spam on a domain on my server, running Cpanel 9.9.3.
    I have only recently got the server so am trying to correctly figure out spam handling on one domain before telling other people with domains on my server how to handle spam.

For this domain, I have gone into the Mail Settings and "Enabled Spam Assassin" and "Enabled Spam Box". I also updated the Spam Assassin settings to have a "required score" of 3.

I am checking email for the default address on this domain and in just 3 weeks there are 39,000 emails in the Inbox - 99% of which are junk/spam(heavy traffic site). I look in the spam folder (using Horde) and there are only 14 messages in there, all tagged as ****SPAM****.

This doesnt make sense to me at all. What can I do to get spam handling working properly? Surely just enabling spam assassin and the spam folder should be enough. Even lowering the score to 3 should help???

When I view the message source of emails in the Inbox (not tagged as spam), they dont have any spam assassin headers. But when I view the message source of any of the 14 messages in the spam folder these headers show up.

X-Spam-Flag: YES
    X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.63 (2004-01-11) on JUPITER
    X-Spam-Level: **************************************************
    X-Spam-Status: Yes, hits=75.6 required=6.0 tests=BIZ_TLD,BODY27,
    SUBJ_NET38 autolearn=no version=2.63
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    X-BlackHole: Version 1.0.9 by Chris Kennedy (C) 2002
    X-BlackHole-Match: Spam

That suggests Spam Assassin in working properly, although I dont know why the "required=6.0" is there - should be "required=3" ???

Anyone got any idea of things I can tweak or try to have more of my mail tagged as spam?
  2. yugiez

yugiez Registered

Sep 29, 2004
    Have you try to modify in your SpamAssasin configuration ?:
    rewrite_subject 1
    rewrite_header subject into ""Subject *****SPAM(_SCORE_)****" :)