The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with addon domains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gimmereeson, Jan 19, 2007.

1. gimmereeson

gimmereeson Registered

Jan 18, 2007
    i've just started learning things , i configured a domain on the server in our netowrk.
    i also configured subdomain for it from the cpanel , but when i tried to addon a domain to it named it is throwing up errors saying that could not be resolved to valid ip

i checked the resolver and made sure it is pointing to our nameservers and dig is giving the perfect answers from my system

i also checked the subdirectory for , it is /home/abc/public_html/x1/ but the cpanel is unable to recognize these things
    please tell me how to get around the issue.
  2. BackRack

BackRack Member

May 6, 2004
    Main domain:
    Addon domain:

The DNS for the Addon domain,, must be pointed to your server's Domain Name Servers (DNS).
    So, if you are running your own Name Servers, i.e. and you must login to your registry service provider and point the DNS to and

Like wise, if you are using your data centers Name Servers.

Note: Some registrar service providers and data centers require a IP for each of the DNS. Be certain to provide the IPs were necessary.

Tip: Check your server information at and see if all is in good order.

Now, you cannot create a Subdomain and an Addon domain if the names are exactly the same. The names will not resolve. cPanel treats Addon domains as Subdomains in the scheme of things. When you try to do that you will receive error messages in the cPanel Addon and/or Subdomain Manager.

To fix...

1. In cPanel for go to Addon domain.
    a. Remove the Addon domain. Note this is temporary for now.

2. In cPanel go to File Manager.
    a. Under public_html find and delete the folder

3. In cPanel go to Subdomain.
    a. If applicable delete the Subdomain

4. In cPanel go to File Manager.
    a. Under public_html delete the folder if applicable

Start Over...

1. In cPanel go to Addon domain
    a. Create the Addon Domain as usual. Make sure there are no error messages.

2. Go to File Manager
    a. Under public_html open the folder x1 and make sure there is a cgi folder.

3. Go to Subdomain Manager
    a. Create a subdomain under but do NOT name it x1.
    Note: Remember, you cannot create a Addon domain and Subdomain with the same names.

Hope this helps,