The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Cpanel bandwidth logging

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robcyb, Jun 18, 2003.

1. robcyb

robcyb Active Member

hey guys,
    I've recently incurred some problems with bandwidth logging with our customers, where they can bypass this system by going to:
    http://ourcompany.com/~username/

Is there anyway possible to include this in the bandwidth logs, as this customer could easily crank up some big bandwidth. I just thought I would let you guys be aware of this problem, and perhaps in the next release you could make a fix for this, or perhaps tell me how to log this users account in their bandwidth logs? Thanks all.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

This isn't a problem, but rather how machines are supposed to function. When a user goes in via your main IP/hostname, they're obviously going to be using bandwidth from the main IP/hostname.

If you'd like to stop people from doing this, install the bandwidth protection module for apache. This restricts /~user.

3. robcyb

robcyb Active Member

yes, I realised that this is possible, however the user hosts his main site with another company, then uses our servers for the huge bandwidth he takes. He therefore can only access his site via that directory, thus I can't really disallow it. Is there ANY way possible for his specific site to log that data?

4. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

Put him on a dedicated IP.