The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with "free" cPanel hosting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ridosan, Apr 2, 2008.

1. ridosan

ridosan Member

I know that people have said before the problems of using free cPanel hosting. Some require you to have a banner on your site. Some require so many posts a month in their forum. One thing I have seemed to notice is that they go down seemingly quite often. I have been a member of freecpanelhost.net for a while now. Over the past (well, very short period), they have gone down twice. So, now I am in the hunt for, and here comes that nasty word, another free cPanel host. Sorry, but I just can't afford to spend money for hosting at the moment. If anyone knows of a somewhat reliable cPanel host, please let me know.

2. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    you'll get what you pay for

3. ridosan

ridosan Member

Yes, I'm afraid I must admit, you are right.

4. morefood2001

morefood2001 Active Member

I've had extremely good luck with 3ix.org's cheap hosting. At a dollar a month, you can't go wrong.

Phil

5. ridosan

ridosan Member

Thanks Phil, I may actually give that a try. I'm sure I could afford $1.00 a month.

Thanks again,

Rick

6. hitmen

hitmen Registered

7. callumw

callumw Registered

Or build your own webserver at home for free :cool:

I bought a low wattage machine, maxed the CPU and dropped in a 500Gig disk and it runs very quietly in the corner and hosts many of my sites as well as acting as a development machine.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3250091/Acer-AcerPower-1000-Sempron-3200+-Desktop-PC-/Product.html

Stands about 10" tall and although it's compact (it takes laptop memory, but still a full 3.5" disk) its low voltage so the cpu stays a constant cool 25C.
    One of my best buys :)

Best way of doing for cost vs return is getting an old cheapo laptop off ebay and it'll run quietly with minimal power draw and automatic protection against potential power cuts (as long as it's battery works ok)

8. morefood2001

morefood2001 Active Member

The only problem with running a webserver at home is you need a good connection to do that.

If you plan on any more than 500 hits a day, you really shouldn't be using anything less than FIOS. DSL/Cable may be ok for anything less. Also don't forget about the cost to maintain a computer (hard drives do fail, computers do overheat).

Also don't forget about your connection needing to have open ports including 80 (you can check this by www.canyouseeme.org).

In the long run, its far cheaper to pay someone to host for you, that way they take daily backups and handle hardware failures.