The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with services all of a sudden...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alturic, Jan 14, 2013.

1. alturic

alturic Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, so the server has been online (with literally 3 of my personal sites which 0 people know about) for a month now. Everything has been running great until I woke up to a spam of messages in my imap:

I got a bunch of these for named:

It doesn't actually restart the service though. Even doing it through the WHM front-end it doesn't restart.

I also have these for imap which doesn't make sense considering I'm getting my emails via IMAP still?:

and then finally cpsrvd:

The server is "working" in terms of I can get into cPanel/WHM, I can pull up my domains, and apparently my IMAP is still receiving all these emails about these failures, so I didn't want to reboot the machine until I got a response here to see.

2. alturic

alturic Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Update: Ok, so the guys from the DC said that it appeared to be something (didn't say what) with my IPTable rules... I'm only using APF/BFD and I do get a ton of brute force attempts which means a lot of banned IP's, but I haven't touched anything with APF/BFD (and I never actually touch iptables) in well over a week...

They also said named WAS running (and showed me the output plus a test) and it was certainly responding even though WHM was showing it as down. As I said I know imap was running the whole time considering I was getting spammed with the service down emails.

So, when he got done and told me it was something with iptables, WHM was showing (and still is) named as up but cpdavd, imap, cpsrvd and spamd was showing as down. I did a reboot and they all now show as up, but "mailman" is now showing as down. Sometime it shows as up, sometimes it shows as down. No sites use a mailing list but it SHOULD always show as up, right?

So anyway, here's the latest emails from WHM for mailman:

FAILED:
    6 minutes later an email for RECOVERED:

I'm just worried SOMETHING "happened" (I know no-one got into the server) considering for the past month nothing but smooth sailing and now all of a sudden these services are having "problems".

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    These emails are normal after rebooting the system.