The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with site copy and changing nameserver ip's

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Ley, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Ley

Ley Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have an issue with site copy to a new server and changing nameserver ips for the site.

First of all what i did is copy the site.
    Then i changed the ns at my registrar to the new nameserver ips and added 2 more nameservers making 4.

This worked wonderful and my site was up in like 5 mins on the new server.

However, recently i was just doing some time killing stuff such as browsing dnsstuff.com and and saw the following:

(my old ip has been replaced with 1.1.1.1 and my new is 2.2.2.2, my domain has been replaced with domain.com to be anonymous)

domain.com. A IN 14400 2.2.2.2
    domain.com. NS IN 14400 ns1.domain.com.
    domain.com. NS IN 14400 ns2.domain.com.
    domain.com. NS IN 14400 ns3.domain.com.
    domain.com. NS IN 14400 ns4.domain.com.
    ns1.domain.com. A IN 14400 1.1.1.1
    ns2.domain.com. A IN 14400 1.1.1.1
    ns3.domain.com. A IN 14400 2.2.2.2
    ns4.domain.com. A IN 14400 2.2.2.2

What the hell?

my old ips are still listed when i do an A record check on dnsstuff.com. My domain simply worked since i added 2 extra ns in the zone..otherwise it would still be down.

The old ips have been removed by the registrar so this cannot be the problem. So i went on to whm and checked the nameserver configuration.

I saw my old ip's still there..wtf? I tried to remove them but they said its impossible since they are still registered with an ICCAN registrar...bullsh...i changed this 3 weeks ago. I called my registrar, they checked everything on their end ...no trouble found.

I went to /etc/nameserverips and deleted them there. GOODY done..restarted bind..checked nameserver configuration in whm again..THERE THEY ARE AGAIN.>WTF???!?!

Ok i read something about this "bug" here so i deleted them again and did not check nameserver configuration in whm.

I went back to dnsstuff.com and checked the same zone for a NS check and saw the following:

domain.com. NS IN 14400 ns1.domain.com.
    domain.com. NS IN 14400 ns2.domain.com.
    domain.com. NS IN 14400 ns3.domain.com.
    domain.com. NS IN 14400 ns4.domain.com.
    ns1.domain.com. A IN 14400 2.2.2.2
    ns2.domain.com. A IN 14400 2.2.2.2

oh my god..what the hell?!? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

All these ip's show the correct one..what is wrong here?

So i checked a bit more..seems like any entry, lookup, or whatever from the net to my new ips of ns1 & ns2 are still known as the old ips..ns3 & ns 4 work like a charm and keep my site in the air..

Now..what else can this be? i am really clueless here....and i really need some tips.

(before confusion starts...yes my story is confusing, no i am not english, 3 i changed the ns1 & ns2 to my new ips at my domain registrar 3 weeks ago..thanks in advance)

2. Ley

Ley Well-Known Member

no one?... :(

3. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    from what i understand:
    ===========================
    Then i changed the ns at my registrar to the new nameserver ips and added 2 more nameservers making 4.

They are:

ns1.domain.com. A IN 14400 1.1.1.1
    ns2.domain.com. A IN 14400 1.1.1.1
    =====================================
    right ?

ns1.domain.com was already pointed at 1.1.1.1 and so is ns2.domain.com. Have you made the changes at the registrar regarding the ip change ?

I guess you have; following the statement "The old ips have been removed by the registrar so this cannot be the problem".

But i still believe that the ns1 and ns2 are pointed to 1.1.1.1 at your registrar ! Could you re-confirm ?

4. Ley

Ley Well-Known Member

at my registrar i have changed the old ips to the new correct ones.

I have this problem with 16 accounts now.,..and all 16 where copied bteween servers with the copy account script.