The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with tailwatch, lfd, csf and perl

Discussion in 'Security' started by vpsstore, Mar 13, 2012.

1. vpsstore

vpsstore Member

Over the last few nights I have been receiving messages from the server that services are failing:

Code:
    The chkservd sub-process with pid 5405 was running for 301 seconds.  The sub-process was terminated as it exceeded the time between checks of 300 seconds.  Please check /var/log/chkservd.log and /usr/local/cpanel/logs/tailwatchd_log to discover the cause.
    I googled the subject and messages and I read that it was worth upgrading the perlmodules as this might cure the problem. Alongside this I was getting the '[checkperlmodules] perl version too old (v5.8.8 required, v5.8.7 is installed.).' messages.

I followed the instructions within the checkperlmodules email and this has resulted in some undesirable effects, in addition to the original problem (which itself still persists).

Code:
    tailwatchd - chkservd on vps.xxxxxxxxxxxx.net status: hang
    lfd on vps.xxxxxxxxxxxx.net failed
    Also, csf was crippled.....

Any ideas of where to start?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello vpsstore,

We have an internal case (57323) about these chkservd messages for tailwatchd. This should be fixed in 11.32.1.0 and higher as the update_sa_rules can oftentimes take longer than the 300 seconds we allow for chkservd to process. The message can be ignored in the meantime or monitoring disabled for tailwatchd in WHM > Service Manager until your server's version is higher than 11.32.1.0:

Code:
    cat /usr/local/cpanel/version
    You can see the version for each tier at Downloads - cPanel Inc.

Thanks!