The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with /usr/sbin/repquota -auv

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by easyswiss, Sep 22, 2011.

1. easyswiss

easyswiss Active Member

Hi,

I have a problem on 2 of our servers, if i go to list accounts, at top i see the entry /usr/sbin/repquota -auv with 100% CPU load (2-8 process). What can i do to resolve this issue?

:confused:

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Same here. I came in this morning and saw the system bogged down with repquota. Now when I run a "list accounts" in WHM I walk over to the console and repquota is back bogging down the system. Takes a couple
    minutes to end and then the system comes back to normal. I rebooted the machine for the heck of it but
    that didnt change anything. No errors on FSCK.

WHM 11.30.3 (build 5)
    FREEBSD 8.0 amd64

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please open up a ticket for us to investigate further using the link in my signature.

4. pipo

pipo Member

Same problem here, I just updated to WHM 11.30.3 (build 5) on FREEBSD 8.2 i386 standard and repquota is taking too much CPU resources.

5. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As I stated above, please open up a ticket. If you do, please post the ticket number here.

6. pipo

pipo Member

This problem has been solved with collabocation of cPanel support. I had to run the command "find /usr/ -nogroup >filelist_group.txt" and "find /usr/ -nouser>filelist_user.txt" to list problematic files and folders. (see last section at the bottom named BUGS on this site UNIX man pages : quotacheck (8)

After reviewing the filelist*.txt, change the owner and group of directories and files that has no user or group associated.

Check the size of your /usr/quota.user and /usr/quota.group files. It shouldn't be above 10-20 mo. In my situation, those files were above 2 Go.

After correcting owner of each files mentionned in filelist_*.txt, run /scripts/fixquotas. Check your quota files again, it should now be reduced to a normal size.

The cPanel representative also recommend to run another /scripts/upcp but I cannot do this at this time. I'll keep this post updated when I've done it.

Good luck

7. easyswiss

easyswiss Active Member

@cpaneltristan

I have a big problem, we have a licence contract with buycpanel, and with mycpadmin (buycpanel) a contract, but they have no idea to resolve this issue on our 3 servers with more than 2000 clients... we lose through this bug every day a lot of our customers because all servers are since the last update verly slowly (php, sql), how can i contact cpanel in this issue directly? this bug is a disaster for us. :(

8. pipo

pipo Member

In WHM of those servers, click on Support Center under Support then Contact cPanel.

9. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Is there a patch or quick fix for this ?. I reall dont like the idea of screwing around with permissions of "/usr" unless we are sure there are no "gotchas". I am really concerned as to why this would suddenly affect all of us using Freebsd when it was fine before.

I notice my "/home" quota.user is about 26 gigs as per displaying the file but a df doesnt show that much usage.

#9 nyjimbo, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  10. pipo

pipo Member

Here is the post from cPanel tech

Hello,

I believe this is related to the push of a perl module update 2 days ago. I have a prescribed fix and I will be implementing it now. After I am done implementing the fix, I will need you to remove the file /home/quota.user. After removing the file, you will can just run /scripts/fixquotas and quotas should begin functioning normally again. I will let you know when I get to that point.

In addition, I will need to run a cpanel update after fixing the perl module issue. I just wanted to inform you of that. It will take some time.

Maybe you should open a ticket with cPanel.

11. InfiniteNetwork

We are having the same problem on my machines so i have disabled quotas to prevent the highload. Please release an update asap

12. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please submit a ticket using the link in my signature. Tickets are free for anyone with a valid cPanel license who has root SSH and root WHM access to the machine. A ticket would be the route to get this resolved until we have a fully working solution.

13. InfiniteNetwork

Thats going to help because half of our servers are running FreeBSD virtualised which you guys don't support for some reason (there is no difference between a physical box and freebsd running on esxi) so a fix would be a better

14. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have never seen us refuse to help someone when they open up a ticket to ask a question. We might point them in the direction of help online if we cannot support the issue. Since this issue is a cPanel one with library updates, so you can ask for assistance, especially given it is at no cost to do so.