The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with /var bloat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor_Cox, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Doctor_Cox

Doctor_Cox Member

Gentlemen,

At work we run a Fedora server with cPanel 11. Recently, the /var partition has become very bloated. It was cleaned out of logs about 2-3 weeks ago, getting the space utilisation down to 34%, but already it is back up to 94%. We do use a lot of MySQL space, but not enough to have caused such a significant jump. Alas our data centre is down right now so I cannot give you exact MB figures, so you will just have to take my word it is enough for a 60% jump in 2 - 3 weeks seem very odd.

I have searched the net, but while I have learned a general idea of what is stored in /var, I am still none the wiser as to what could cause such huge space wastage. Do any of you have any ideas? Unfortunately I do not have low level access to the OS, but could get it if nothing comes of this initial post.

Thank you for your time.
    Joel.

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

The first and most important question is just how big is the /var partition and if you clear logs how much of a difference is there.

If logs end up being the culprit then you likely have some kind of attack somewhere which is being logged OR you have alot of sudden new traffic which is logged as well.

Only you will be able to tell, so I would wait for your ability to see what the partition size is and what difference killing old logs makes. After that you might check things like cpanel files or do a series of "du" printouts to see where everything is ending up.

3. Doctor_Cox

Doctor_Cox Member

The culprit was a 16gb Exim log... beginning to smell like someone is using us as a spam relay. Thanks.

#3 Doctor_Cox, Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  4. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

yikes that would do it!