The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Process Manager in cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ocbox, Sep 27, 2016.

1. ocbox

ocbox Member

I've been using cPanel for over a decade. Firstly, I'll admit that I've never understood the documentation, as it will often say things like "For cPanel & WHM version 58". I've always thought of these two products as rather different, but the documentation often puts them together.

My current dilemma seems a good example to me. In WHM, I can use Home >> System Health >> Process Manager to kill a problematic task. I have an account that's testing potentially problematic cron jobs, and I'd like that account to be able to kill processes in cPanel. Alas, no matter how much I've tried, and how many features I've enabled, I can't get it to show up in cPanel. Am I missing something? I've always felt I am not fully understanding how to enable features for cPanel.

Also, I have shell access enabled for the accounts, so they can kill via putty, but customers like clicking things.

Any help is appreciated. I'd love to better understand cPanel and how to maximize it's potential. Lastly, any clarification on what I may be missing in WHM not being cPanel and how I can tell them apart in documentation would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, the name of the product is 'cPanel & WHM'. When our documentation refers to the product as a whole it uses that term. The term 'cPanel' is often used to described the hosting account, or website owner, portion of the product. The terms 'WHM' or 'WebHost Manager' are used to describe the reseller and server management portion of the product.

We currently do not provide a process manager for cPanel, only for WHM. The method you chose of granting users shell access is currently the only means for a website owner to manage processes. In looking at our feature request site (cPanel Feature Requests) I don't see a feature request that matches what you are request. Please feel free to to open a request for it!

#2 cPanelKenneth, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  3. ocbox

ocbox Member

Thank you. It was brought to my attention that bluehost's cPanel has a process killer, so I wasn't sure if I was missing something. I'm assuming that means they've written some custom functionality using the API to allow processes owned by the user to be killed?

Just a suggestion, I think it would be less confusing if you called the whole product cPanel with the products "cPanel Web Hosting Manager" and "cPanel Account Manager" or something like that.

Cheers,
    Jason

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @ocbox,

Yes, that suggests the use of a custom plugin. You could contact them directly if you're interested in more information about how it works. Also, thank you for taking the time to offer feedback about the product. You may find our FAQ documentation helpful:

Frequently Asked Questions - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thanks!