The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Production and Development servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by rem1234, Jul 28, 2015.

1. rem1234

rem1234 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

I'm completely new to whm/cpanel so forgive me if this has been posted before.

What happens is that I have 2 servers (1 is for development and the other for production). The production server has always run fine, but I never got around to setting the production server. I always just created subfolders in my main domain and tested websites that way, but now I want to actually use the development server.

Initially when I configured both I set the main (production) server to use my main domain, i.e. mydomain.com and the development to use dev.mydomain.com.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to setup the dev.mydomain.com so it works. I can access cpanel and everything through the ip address of dev.mydomain.com but obviously if I type in the address it shows and err_name_not_resolved error.

How can I go about creating dev.mydomain.com in mydomain.com and pointing to the development servers ip, so when I type dev.mydomain.com it shows the development site.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Each server should have its own hostname, they can use the same domain name, and even nameservers with proper DNS setup/clustering.
    prod.example.com, dev.example.com for example.