The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ProFTP allows access using Host Server IP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Website Rob, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Currently using:

WHM 6.2.0
    Cpanel 6.4.0-E1
    RedHat 7.3

Server is operating just fine and no other problems in relation to the question.

It has come to my attention that Clients can FTP into the Server using the Host Server IP address. As this can seriously skewer Data Transfer reports, it is a high priority on my 'to do' list.

I would like to change it, forcing them to use the IP address they were assigned or the assigned Reseller NS IP address -- for Reseller's Clients, of course.

It would also be nice to force using their Domain Name, but I realize this is not possible for Name based accounts. Should be doable though, for everyone else.

Not having found an option/feature for this and testing with DNS setup did not seem to change anything (CNAME or A record, makes no difference), I'm presuming some editting has to be done in the 'proftpd.conf' file. A Forum search did not turn up anything on this question and if someone knows how to accomplish the above, I would be all ears. ;)

Thanks

2. xsenses

xsenses Well-Known Member

Not that I have an answer, but it also possible to FTP in if the clients know the full hostname->
    server.domain.com

3. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

I'm interested in an answer to this as well - if there is any :)

John