cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Proftpd 1.2.8 rpms are now avalible for testing. You can install them by running.

/scripts/updatenow
/scripts/proftpd128

freebsd is already running a newer version so there is no need to do this on that platform.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

ahzeff

Registered
May 22, 2003
Tried to run the update but obtained the following error.

Retrieving http://diff.cpanel.net/proftpd-cpanel7.1.0/s6/proftpd-1.2.8tls-2_linuxprivs.i386.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:proftpd warning: /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd saved as /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd.rpmsave
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/man/man8/ftpshut.8.gz;3f074981: cpio: open failed - Not a directory
Waiting for ftpserver to restart..............finished.

proftpd (pid 585) is running...

ahzeff

Registered
May 22, 2003
Re: Proftpd

Originally posted by aussie
Seemed to work ok for me. Thanks.

Btw aussie, you are on RH7.3 ? or ?

luisp

PartnerNOC
Jan 17, 2003
Portugal
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
btw, there are some vulnerabilities to proftpd 1.2.8. I've used this for months now, but i read that there were some vulnerabilities. Is this version pacthed or something?

ciphervendor

Aug 26, 2002
Originally posted by luisp
btw, there are some vulnerabilities to proftpd 1.2.8. I've used this for months now, but i read that there were some vulnerabilities. Is this version pacthed or something?

This is like reporting a network outage without providing a traceroute or any other 'evidence' to backup your claim.

Please post a link to a reputable bug tracking / vulnerability recording web site.

HollyRidge

Feb 25, 2003
Clayton NC USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Even if it does have any vulnerabilities, it isnt as bad as the old version 1.2.4. Anyway to get this back on topic... Still having this problem but only with a one server. Most of the cpanel servers took this upgrade with no problems. Also just to wipe this out most of them that worked as well as the ones that did not are on 7.3

Last edited:

jackal

PartnerNOC
Feb 23, 2002
Upgraded no problems so far.

HollyRidge

Feb 25, 2003
Clayton NC USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Well I found the root of our problem... We installed Elikster's new antivirus exim package with clam&f-prot which is what caused the issue. Right in his install file...
ln -fs /usr/local/f-prot/man8/f-prot.8 /usr/man/man8
ln -fs /usr/local/f-prot/man8/check-updates.sh.8 /usr/man/man8
This creates a symlink called man8 and proftpd 1.2.8 upgarde is wanting to write to a directory that does not exist. It is a symlink to a file not a directory...
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 Jun 28 02:47 man8 -> /usr/local/f-prot/man8/check-updates.sh.8

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Originally posted by HollyRidge
Well I found the root of our problem... We installed Elikster's new antivirus exim package with clam&f-prot which is what caused the issue. Right in his install file... This creates a symlink called man8 and proftpd 1.2.8 upgarde is wanting to write to a directory that does not exist. It is a symlink to a file not a directory...

I've updated the script to remove /usr/man/man8 if its a symlink and create it as a dir.

Angel78

May 9, 2002
should we run this script once again (it works just fine now), or leave it?