The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proftpd and additional ftp users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xamot, Apr 8, 2004.

1. xamot

xamot Registered

I would like to add an additional ftp user. When I add an entry to my AuthUserFile (/etc/proftpd/passwd.vhosts) the next time WHM resyncs the FTP usernames/passwords the user disappears. Even if I copy the entry into a /etc/proftpd/$user file.

I can't use cpanel to create the user as that assumes the ftp user's home directory is a sub directory of ~/public_html. Something I don't want.

The purpose of this additional FTP user is to create an account similar to an anonymous user (except I would like a password on it) with an incomming-dropbox for a number of untrusted people to be able to upload files (but not download files uploaded by others). Then a trusted user will have access to the files.

I'm still mulling through the Proftpd documentation so maybe I'll find a way to do this through an <Anonymous> block, but it seems that the simplest solution would be to add an entry to the AuthUserFile with /bin/ftpsh as the shell. If only WHM wouldn't delete it.

(This is for a gaming league, so that member teams, the untrusted users, have a place to upload recordings of matches when requested by an admin, the trusted users.)

Thanks,
    Tom

2. xamot

xamot Registered

For anyone curious. I never found away to add mine own entries to /etc/proftpd/passwd.vhosts as /scripts/ftpupdate would always remove them, unless I wanted a '@oneofmydomains.com' appended on. Ended up learning bit more about proftpd and accomplishing what I wanted through an <Anonymous> block and an additional system account.

(the additional system account probably isn't needed, but I figured it would be safer than another account if someone did manage to break out of the chroot)