The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proftpd and Maxclients -- now limits to 3 users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bmcpanel, Aug 21, 2003.

1. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

I have a client who has 10 to 12 writers who update stories for a major publication via FTP on their web site. Sometimes, they are logged in concurrently. This was never a problem until two days ago. Now, Proftpd gives a "Max Clients Reached" error.

What has changed and what should I do to fix it. Now, I have set maxclients for the domain in proftpd.conf to 100. I reset proftpd in WHM, but problem still exists.

Help. THis client is very good and deserving of an answer from me. But, I didn't break this and therefore, don't know how to fix it!! What has happened?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I hear your troubles, I would like to have more control over ftp as well, the ftp config file seems to never make the changes as shown.

Pure ftp is the same.

Too bad we are stuck with the ftp programs defaults. :mad:

If you find a way to make a higher number stick please post it here as well I would like to open up the ftp substantially more.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

3. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

If you're using ProFTP, edit /etc/proftpd.conf, search for domain.com, alter the MaxClients n variable in your clients virtual host entry, save, close, killall -HUP proftpd.

If you want ProFTP to run the way it should, check out my config changes in this thread: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13110

#3 ciphervendor, Aug 22, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2003