The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

proftpd questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haze, Jun 14, 2002.

1. haze

haze Well-Known Member

How can I make it so that a new ftp user say userone, can only upload to there specified directory ( ie. /home/username/www/userone and not /home/username/www ) ?

2. Djelibeybi

Djelibeybi Well-Known Member

If you add additional FTP users to an existing account (via CPanel), this is exactly what happens. A new directory is created under public_html and set as the root when they use FTP.

Its marvellous stuff and I've got about 10 FTP users all adding stuff to their own directories.

3. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Well see the problem is, I created a user and it can upload, download & delete to the root directory ( by root I mean /home/username/www ).

4. Djelibeybi

Djelibeybi Well-Known Member

Weird. If I create an FTP User in CPanel, it automatically creates the user directory under public_html and only allows the FTP user access to that directory.

E.g. I create &faq& as a FTP User in CPanel for a particular domain.

FTP Username: faq@domain.com
    FTP location: /home/domain/public_html/faq
    HTTP location: http://www.domain.com/faq

Works this way for me.

5. haze

haze Well-Known Member

argg.. Yes, but thats not my point. My point is, the user also gets access to the public_html folder as well. Is there a way to stop this?

6. parag

parag Well-Known Member

[quote:2e3c2ea7d8][i:2e3c2ea7d8]Originally posted by iminteractive[/i:2e3c2ea7d8]

argg.. Yes, but thats not my point. My point is, the user also gets access to the public_html folder as well. Is there a way to stop this?[/quote:2e3c2ea7d8]

by the way they dont get access to public_html

the ftp user is created under public_html but they cant go one level up from their own directory and access the public_html

create one user - log on with that id and then try to go one level up it will just refresh the display and show you the same user directory and wont allow that user to access the public_html folder.

so do not worry as the public_html is restricted for all the ftp users u create using cpanel.

best regards,
    Parag

7. haze

haze Well-Known Member

See the problem is, I can go back a directory to the public_html director and upload, download and delete. I have already tested this out, over and over again. Anyone have any ideas?

8. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

[quote:ed1c563d1c][i:ed1c563d1c]Originally posted by iminteractive[/i:ed1c563d1c]

See the problem is, I can go back a directory to the public_html director and upload, download and delete. I have already tested this out, over and over again. Anyone have any ideas?[/quote:ed1c563d1c]
    Are you saying that an FTP user set up from cpanel is able to switch to public_html when he logs in with his own FTP username (directory_name@domain.com) and FTP password?

9. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Yes, not only able to switch to the directory, but upload, download and delete ( as well as chmod, etc. ).

10. parag

parag Well-Known Member

[quote:2d48ef13e6][i:2d48ef13e6]Originally posted by iminteractive[/i:2d48ef13e6]

Yes, not only able to switch to the directory, but upload, download and delete ( as well as chmod, etc. ).[/quote:2d48ef13e6]

thats funny....

this is the first time i have come across such a problem... everything out here works fine, at least on our box there is no such problem of ftp users entering into public_html and can detele chmod upload download to the main root directory of the website.

i think you should consult nick about this

Parag