The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

proftpd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fusion, Sep 8, 2004.

1. fusion

fusion Active Member

incredibly slow.... can take up to a minute to just change directorys? It was never this slow before, any ideas?

also, when I tried to switch to pureftpd, I got "file unretreivable" or something to that affect and couldnt start proftpd again! I finally got it started though and is still running very very slow.

2. fusion

fusion Active Member

Unable to retrieve file

Ftp Server Install Complete

I'm getting this for just about EVERYTHING, even when I try to upgrade cpanel.

3. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I'd probably try finding the root of the cause before applying a bandaid solution.

Have you changed any config settings recently ? Whats the server load like and memory usage when your logged in and its slow? These are just a couple of the things i'd run through first.

4. fusion

fusion Active Member

Yeah, thats the problem though.. Nothing has been changed since I originally set the server up, its been running perfect for the last couple months. load is fine, its always very low actually.. Only a couple sites on the server.

I have no clues why this suddenly started happening. at first I thought it was my connection actually, but I logged into another server and it was fine.

load and everything stays about the same when im logged into ftp vs. not logged in.

It's taking average of 20 seconds everytime I do something, uploading a file, changing a directory, etc.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Do you have an iptables firewall installed? I've seen problems when those haven't been configured quite right for FTP.

Another thing you could try is adding the following lines to the top of your /etc/proftpd.conf file:
    Code:
    AuthPAM                         off
    UseReverseDNS                   off
    IdentLookups			off
    Then restart proftpd using:

/etc/init.d/proftpd stop
    /etc/init.d/proftpd start

6. RyanNSA

RyanNSA Registered

I was having the same problem and I just tried that and it just sped it up a TON. What kind of issues does turning all that stuff cause, may I ask?

7. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Might i suggest you head on over to the proftpd documentation: http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directives/linked/by-name.html

Look for the config option, click it and you will get a basic description of what it does.

Not that the above config is in any way dangerous, but i would suggest you check up on the documentation for any program before making any changes, such as the above.