Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ProofPoint blocks?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by webtipster, Oct 11, 2017.

1. webtipster

webtipster Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi folks,

Has anyone experienced any issues dealing with ProofPoint?

Seems like the Exims IP address is being blocked by ProofPoint. Submitted several tickets to no avail. Did a check on all /29 available IPs all seem to be on the block. Also, it seems like the entire C class is blocked by ProofPoint, bad neighbors?

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Here's a report from another thread where this is discussed:

Proof Point RBL

Thank you.

3. webtipster

webtipster Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi @cPanelMichael,

Thank you for your response. I'll give their FB a try. Seems like that is the only way to contact those folks.

FYI: The IP's are on no RBL's whatsoever and there is no spam at all coming. It's this new server's IP address block that was provided by the DC that's already on ProofPoints block.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you.

4. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yea, Proofpoint can be pretty bad about removing blocks. They've gotten better, but still leave a lot to be desired. As you say, you're not on any other blacklists - so Proofpoint's reasons are anybody's guess. And you'll never learn why they blocked you.

But sure - I can stop all of the incoming spam coming into our servers too if I block every single IP address from connecting to our server. That is one sure fire way to stop spam.

5. webtipster

webtipster Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi @sparek-3,

Yea, it's not really logical what they are doing. Especially since no spam has been seen on this server, it's like they are blocking the entire C class, from which the DC assigned my block of IPs. So if your neighbors are bad, you get the same treatment. Crazy. New server, barely any activity on it since launch the past month and yet all IPs are in their block.

Funny, I bet you if I was using their "paid" service I would get a little bit faster response than 30 days so far.

I did reach out to them as suggested in the post by cPanelMichael via FB and they replied within 30 minutes that the request will be forwarded to their spam department. We shall see how long it takes them to look at it now.

6. webtipster

webtipster Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    @cPanelMichael

So ProofPoint replied to the FB inquiry stating that this IP address is not configured properly to send email. Without any additional details.

We have no DNS problems, MX, rDNS, SPIF, DKIM, all is setup correctly. Everything is working fine...

Any ideas as what to look for in this mysterious endeavor?

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You may want to respond to them to seek out more information about how exactly the IP address is not setup properly.

Thank you.

8. webtipster

webtipster Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    @cPanelMichael,

Thank you. Yes sir, already did that. They haven't responded yet.

Not sure what they meant by that as there is no DNS errors, no MX errors, no reporting problems, no delivery issues, no RBL blocks, rDNS, SPIF, DKIM, all is setup correctly. No other problems, but them.

I've tried MXToolBox and DNSstuff to run multiple reports to see if I can dig something out of order but everything checks out.

9. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There was a time when Proofpoint was completely incompetent. I thought they had gotten better over the past several years. It used to be the case to where it was a struggle to explain why anybody would use Proofpoint's system to block spam. It doesn't do providers a lot of good when they block everybody - sure it keeps the spam away... along with everything else. Why would anyone pay to use their blacklist?

I pretty much just stick to two blacklists now. Spamhaus and Spamcop. If you're listed in one of those, then your server is probably sending out spam and it needs to be investigated. Getting help from Spamhaus or Spamcop can be difficult in finding that, but they generally don't list you unless there's a reason to be listed.

There are a ton of spam blacklists out there. Know which ones are reputable and which ones are not. Your IP address might be listed on "Mike's completely legitimate wink-wink spam blacklist" But that listing means absolutely nothing if the list is not reputable.

10. webtipster

webtipster Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    @sparek-3

Thank you. Totally agree. ProofPoint just seem to provide service, my guess, to their paying customers. But when it comes to managing their own list they are nowhere to be found.

The IP is not listed in any, including the most reputable RBLs. SpamHaus, SpamCop, Barracuda, etc... None! Senderbase lists it as clean and good reputation.

Problem is, anyone that uses ProofPoint service is blocking incoming mail from our server IP. It just bounces it back with rejection that the IP is blocked. You go to their site to check and you get "Thank you. Support team is investigating the IP". Meanwhile, 30 days pass by and you are still stuck with the same bs and no reply.

I wonder how lucky one must be to find themselves in this sticky situation without any result.
    Nobody having an issue with ProofPoint?

11. webtipster

webtipster Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Just a quick update to the community. After reaching to ProofPoint via FB and Twitter and provided all details such as mentioned above that the IP is not on any RBLs, there is no spam activity, no DNS errors, without any replies, they "mysteriously" removed the IP from their block without any explanation.

So this just leads me to believe that they barely monitor their online submissions or they are just short-handed and can't respond to all the requests and take over 30 days to clear the block. Hopefully nobody has to deal with this. :)