The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

propagation speed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ctbhost, Dec 22, 2005.

1. ctbhost

ctbhost Well-Known Member

as i understand it for a new domain to Propagate can take anywhere from 24 - 72 hours

i have had a situation in the past 6 months or so where when i add new domains they are showing up within minutes of being added to the server - this happens with newly registered domains.

im not complaining - its great but i was wondering what determines the propagation speed - is it domain registra, the dns setup, ns related or just a combination.

i have obviously done something right - wish i knew what

any comments welcome

2. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

I believe it is the domain registrar. They did some work at their end some time ago now. Best all round solution. Also of course your DNS setup helps if there are no major errors. I used to hate the long wait.

:)

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

New domains will almost always propagate immediately when they're listed in the root servers for the TLD as there won't be any cached zone entries since the domain didn't previously exist. For existing domains, propagation will still take (these days between 0 and around 48 hours) depending on the TTL in the zone and/or the TTL caching nameservers enforce on caching name servers. It can still be instantaneous for many/most resolutions unless they'd tried the domain within the TTL which will have cached the zone on their local caching name server.

So,

New domain - no pre-existing zone file - propagation is immediate once listed in the authoratitive nameservers since zone cannot already be cached elsewhere.

Old domain zone change - propagation usually between 0 up to around TTL (usually 24 hours) * ~2 (often min 24 hours) depending on whether the local users caching nameserver has cached the zone file within the TTL (or 24 hours or whatever the local caching nameserver enforces).

So, by reducing the TTL in an old domain's zone when DNS records are changed can help get the domain propagated more quickly. However, many ISP's ignore TTL's lower than 24 hours. Setting TTL's lower than around an hour can actually have the reverse affect as some DNS admins don't appreciate their DNS caches being contantly updated and that's often where enforced min TTL's on caching nameserver come in (and defeats one of the main advantages of the whole DNS system, i.e. hierarchical cached lookups).

4. ctbhost

ctbhost Well-Known Member

thanks chirpy for the clear easy to understand explanation.

so i havent performed some sort of miracle on my server - BUGGER!

there's me thinking i was clever :D