The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proper Behavior for Parked Domains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jethrodesign, Apr 25, 2012.

1. jethrodesign

jethrodesign Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, I'm trying to fully understand what SHOULD happen with a parked domain that is being redirected to my root domain.

• If I have a cPanel account at 'domain.com', and I park the domain 'domain.org' on this account in cPanel, then redirect it to the root account (domain.com), what SHOULD happen in regard to subdirectories/pages??

When I test it currently, entering domain.org does redirect to domain.com properly as I would expect. But any other subdirectories don't redirect. So 'http://www.domain.org/about/' does not redirect to the 'domain.com' as I would have expected. I tried setting up a redirect as a wildcard or not, but no difference.

When I examine the .htaccess file, this is what I see has been written:
    Code:
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domain\.com$ [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.domain\.com$
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ "http\:\/\/www\.domain\.org\/$1" [R=301,L]

1. Is this the expected behavior?
    2. If so, how would you get all subdirectories to resolve properly so you don't take a SEO hit for 'duplicate' content?
    3. Does setting up the 'Parked Domain' in cPanel just add those .htaccess changes, or is that only the attribute of the redirect part of it? I'm wondering if there is a better/manual way to go about this.
    4. What would be the proper way to redirect different pages at the parked domain if it had previously been used on a site and you don't want to lose the SEO rankings (or suffer broken links)??

THANKS!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Parking the domain should be enough by itself without a redirect, if I understand what you want to do here.

3. jethrodesign

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When I removed the redirect from a Parked Domain in cPanel, it seemed to make the situation worse.

- The subdirectories/pages still don't resolve to the main domain.
    - The root URL also does not resolve to the main domain now.

Anyone know the proper procedures so that a parked domain, including all subdirectories/pages, will properly resolve to the main root domain so that it doesn't appear to Google as duplicate content??

THANKS!

4. jethrodesign

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Anyone have any more insight here, especially regarding how Parked domains really work behind the scenes and how to redirect pages from a Parked domain?

5. cPGoodJosh

cPGoodJosh Member
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

For this, I did add actually make a newly purchased domain of mine an addon domain, just so I could make sure it worked how I understood it did.

A parked domain will mirror your primary domain for that cPanel account. Any link you go to, should be mirrored on that domain, as long as it uses relative links. So, for example, let's say that you have a primary domain of domain.com and you parked domain.org on top of that. When you go to domain.org you'll see the same content as domain.com. From domain.org, if you click on a link that has a structure like this: <a href="page.html">blah</a> you should see this in your browser: domain.org/page.html and not domain.com/page.html even though both will diaplay the same page.

If you'd like a real world example, you can take a look at my parked domain. http://astudyinfutility.info/
    It's a basic page, basically just my starter CGI/perl web page testing, so there's not much to it, but all my links are relative. So if you click around a little bit, you'll see that your browser stays on the .info version, instead of the .com version. (of note, I did just get .info set up so it may not work for everyone right away and for that I apologize)

I definitely hope this clears it up though, but if not, feel free to ask more questions.

6. jethrodesign

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK, I pretty much understand how the Parked Domain works in the sense of 'mirroring' the content on the main domain. My main question/concern there is - does Google consider this 'duplicate content'? That would be really bad, as you definitely get penalized for such things.

My biggest question, though, was more about how to redirect pages that were on the OLD domain you want park, but don't have equivalents on the NEW domain/site?
    If a page that was previously indexed (e.g., 'www.domain.com/about-us.html') did not have an exact match on the new domain (e.g., it would be 'www.domain.org/about/'), the old URL would give a 404 error when attempting to connect. This is NOT good for search rankings!

Anyone else??