The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

proper practice to use DNSONLY and connected servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by victomeyezr, Oct 13, 2011.

1. victomeyezr

victomeyezr Well-Known Member

I am curious what is the proper way to setup the clustering..?

I have the DNSONLY setup with nameservers. say ns100.host.com and ns102.host.com

Now I have 3 servers clustered to these nameservers, but what do I set the nameservers of those attached servers to?

I have different nameservers setup on each of the three servers, but intoDNS reports they are not correct. The websites are working, but I want them setup correctly. This process has always confused me.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

We have a full guide on how to configure clustering at:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration

Could you review this document and let us know if you have questions about any steps in particular?

Thank you.

3. victomeyezr

victomeyezr Well-Known Member

I know how to do the STEPS.. I am curious about how you setup the name servers themselves and how they correlate to each other.

So if the DNSONLY is setup and ns100.host.com and ns101.host.com

Does it matter WHAT the name servers on the individual web host servers are?
    and ALL client web sites that are clustered to those DNSONLY servers only need to use the DNSONLY name servers? Thats it?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The name servers are created at the domain registrar of the domain name you are creating them on. The steps on how to complete this on the major domain registrars can be found at:

Registering Private Name Servers

If the DNS-Only server is the only one you are using to handle the DNS for your domain names, the customers will only need to use the name servers configured on the DNS-Only server. It's still a good idea to configure those name servers as the default name servers for new accounts on the hosting servers via:

"WHM >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup"

This will ensure the proper name servers are used in the DNS Zones of the domain names.

Thank you.