The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proper SMTP setup, help needed

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by stevebeans, Aug 27, 2011.

1. stevebeans

stevebeans Member

So right now my SMTP is not working with addon domains. When I try to send an e-mail out, it asks for the password again, but does not end up working.

On my main domains, I try sending e-mails out to say comcast, and I get this error.

Comcast requires that all mail servers must have a PTR record with a valid Reverse DNS entry. Currently your mail server does not fill that requirement. For more information, refer to:
    http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/PTR

I contacted my host to do a rDNS, and they said they did it, but I'm not sure if it was done properly, or there is more I need to do in WHM? Is there a way to check my rDNS for my domain?

Thanks for helping with these 2 issues.

2. hostnex

hostnex Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can get a full DNS report of your domain from intoDNS: checks DNS and mail servers health. About PTR is setup properly or not it will be written on the 4th last line of this DNS report like this

Reverse MX A records (PTR) Your reverse (PTR) record:
    xxx.xx.xx.xx.in-addr.arpa -> xxxx.com
    You have reverse (PTR) records for all your IPs, that is a good thing.

3. stevebeans

stevebeans Member

That's weird, I'm seeing some strange info on that page. I recently moved to a new server, yet under NS it's showing:

NS records got from your nameservers listed at the parent NS are:

oldnameserver [oldip]

Then I'm seeing this error:

Missing nameservers reported by parent - FAIL: The following nameservers are listed at your nameservers as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the parent nameservers (see RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these nameservers are working.If they are not working ok, you may have problems!

Missing nameservers reported by your nameservers - ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:

On the bright side, what you said:
    Your reverse (PTR) record:
    ------
    You have reverse (PTR) records for all your IPs, that is a good thing.

Is accurate and leading to the correct nameserver. I don't understand why I'm still having the rDNS problem with comcast

4. stevebeans

stevebeans Member

bumping this if anyone knows how I can fix these errors :)

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Check the DNS zone for your domain that has the nameservers in WHM > Edit DNS Zone area. For example, if your nameservers are ns1.pandasarecool.com and ns2.pandasarecool.com, then check WHM > Edit DNS Zone > pandasarecool.com DNS zone. In that zone, check you have the following records setup:

Please ensure IP# is replaced by the correct IP number for that nameserver.