The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proper way to do SSL certs???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hostricity, Feb 21, 2008.

1. hostricity

hostricity Active Member

I've seen lots of diagnostics for individual SSL problems, but I haven't seen anything comprehensive on how to do this.

When you read this, I am not really asking for individual answers to the questions below. What I want to know is where can I find comprehensive, baby-step, instructions for getting a server setup for ssl certs. (I've been using cpanel / whm for a while - even on our own servers - but everytime I want to do something with SSL, it turns out to be a major hassle and I have little confidence that it is being done correctly.)

Now, I have the opportunity to start out with a brand new server and set the SSL certs up from scratch correctly. I'd like to do it correctly rather than junk the server up with trial and error.

First, here's what I want to do:

1. Provide secure access to whm and cpanel on this server.

2. Provide a shared ssl cert for any customer on the server that want to use it.

3. Setup individual SSL Certs for particular user accounts.

Questions:

1. What's the proper way to accomplish all of this?

2. What about Dedicated IP for each reseller - does this impact the cert setup? Can all of the resellers that want to, use the shared ssl cert?

3. What about Dedicated IP for an individual customer domain - does that impact their ability to use the shared SSL Cert?

4. Is it correct that an ssl cert can be made shared simply by the server setup, or does it require a special ssl cert to do this?

5. Any further questions I should be asking?

Is my approach to this correct?

Does anyone know of comprehensive information on how to do the above? (WHM and Cpanel documentation offers some step by step info on installing SSL Certs, but it doesn't approach it in a comprehensive manner.)

2. jols

jols Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in an answer to this as well. Due to recent updates e.g. PHPv5, etc. the shared cert methods I was using no longer works.