The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

proper way to run the DNS server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by victomeyezr, Jun 19, 2010.

1. victomeyezr

victomeyezr Well-Known Member

I have a noob question, but as I have never had to manage more than one server before, this is new ground for me.

I have server 1, it is the main server as well as the main dns server. (will stay that way until I have reason/money to have a dedicated dsn server)

Second server will be ns3 and ns4 .

so the domain name of the servers is server1.myhost.com and server2.myhost.com

My webhost site is myhost.com so I don't want to register n3 and ns4 on the registrar, because I can't have the site hosted on both web servers (would be retarded to anyways)

My question, what is the actual proper way to register the ns3 and ns4 to point to the IP's of server2, on server1?

2. ModServ

ModServ Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    From the main server that have the domain inside it put those DNS ns1 and ns2, also register them in your domain registrar, We have finished step 1.

Step 2: Register the ns3 and ns4 in your domain registrar with the IPs of the second server after that go to the main server WHM, Login with root, Click on Edit a DNS Zone then choose your main domain and click edit, After that add 2 A records named ns3 and ns4 with the other server IPs, Then click Save, Done !

3. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Also edit the DNS record of the domain on Server 1 and add the A records for ns3 and ns4 to point to the Server 2 IPs.

4. ModServ

ModServ Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes madaboutlinux that's what I said in Step 2

after that go to the main server WHM, Login with root, Click on Edit a DNS Zone then choose your main domain and click edit, After that add 2 A records named ns3 and ns4 with the other server IPs, Then click Save