The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proper way to update only MX records?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by electric, Oct 5, 2005.

1. electric

electric Well-Known Member

OK.. couple of questions:

1) What is the "proper" way to update the MX records for a domain?

- Use the "Edit MX Entry" link in WHM?
    - Use the "Edit DNS Zone" link, and then edit the mx record only?

2) If the mailserver is "off server", what is the proper process to make cpanel aware of this fact? Do we have to fiddle with conf files? Is there a way to do this through WHM?

Thanks!

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Both are just as good i.e. using both methods you can change the MX record for a domain. The only advantage of the former being that you can't accidentally change something other than the MX record!

If the MX record for a domain is set to a domain or IP that is not local, you'll need to tell cPanel about this.

You'd need to remove the domain from /etc/localdomains and add it to /etc/remotedomains. After this it won't do any harm to run /scripts/mailperm.

As far as I know, there is no way of doing this through cPanel. It would need to be performed from root shell.

3. electric

According to this bug/feature, cpanel will automatically add the entry into the remotedomains file if it is located off server?

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=3257

:confused:

Can anyone confirm if this is true? Does cpanel do this automatically, or is a modification needed to any files?

Thanks!

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Well there's only one way to tell for sure - that's to try it!

I just fiddled with a test account and can confirm, at least for me, that when choosing to edit an MX record, the contents of /etc/localdomains and /etc/remotedomains are updated correctly based on whether the MX record resolves locally. However when editing a whole DNS zone, and then changing the MX record, nothing else other than the zone file appears to get changed.

In response to the very first post: best go for editing an MX record only!

5. electric

Does this also occur when using the cpanel utility to change mx record? (ie: If the end customer makes the change themselves?)

Thanks!