The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Properly migrate to external DNS servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Astral God, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Astral God

Astral God Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi;

Since now, i've been using 2 separate DNSOnly servers to maintain my DNS zones (ns1 and ns2).
    I'm now migrating all zones to 2 external DNS servers.

Let's say i have domain example.com; i've created all zones (NS, MX, A, TXT, CNAME....) for this domain on the external servers. Also, at the registrar, i've set up external DNS servers.

Q1: Can i use the function "Delete a DNS Zone" on WHM to completely delete all zones for this domain ?
    Q2: Can i disable DNS features on cPanel, as they will not propagate on external servers ?
    Q3: Is there anything else that i should do to properly migrate my servers ?

As i'm hosting only a few domains, i can manually set up all zones for these and future domains without use ANY DNS function trough cPanel or WHM.

Final Q: When i've set up ALL ZONES for ALL DOMAINS on the external DNS servers, ho to completely disable all internal DNS features ? Of corse, i'll set new hostnames for future domains under "Basic cPanel & WHM Setup", but what else should i do to correctly accomplish this (completely disable all internal DNS features) ?

Thanks.

2. arunsv84

arunsv84 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I believe its safe to disable DNS features in cPanel if you are using external servers.

I would recommend you to first test this for a domain. Backup the zone file for the test domain and delete it. Simply disable named service from WHM > Service Manager >> Uncheck the "enabled" and "monitor" options next to named. Now DNS won't run on the server. Check if your external setup is working properly or not. If anything doesn't work after turning off, simply re-enable it again in Service Manager.

Thanks!

3. marcju11

marcju11 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just have a question about this. Me too I would like to migrate to a third party DNS because of redundancy reasons and also because cPanel DNS Only force me to pay for 2 VPS.

What if your users want to add a subdomain via their cPanel ? I guess they can't ? Same thing if they want to edit their zone file ? I guess we need to remove those features from their cPanel ... and manage that manually ?

4. arunsv84

arunsv84 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No issues in creating subdomains on cPanel. But once the subdomain is created you need to add the corresponding records manually in third party DNS. If you are creating a subdomain like test. domainname . com, you should create the dns record for test in the zone file of domainame. com

Thanks!

5. marcju11

marcju11 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Yes but basically when the user creates his subdomain in his cPanel, he needs to manually edit his zone file. Is there any other things to manually configure if I move to a third party DNS (like mailboxes, dkim, spf, etc ?) or any other functions do disactivate other than "dns zone editing" ?