The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Props + Complaint

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nemesis02, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Nemesis02

Nemesis02 Registered

Hello, I've been a user of the cPanel control system for the past 4+ years. You guys have done a great job with developing such a awesome backend for shared hosting. However, as of recently, I've become aware of a change made to the cPanel 10.9.0-STABLE_9966 that very much bothers me.

In the past, I used to be able to view everyones mail that they had stored in their mailbox using my cPanel main login. I would goto the WebMail and there would be all the mailboxes on squirrelmail under the inbox. Well, recently a problem that involves the security of an group had come to light, I cannot go into much detail about it, but it involved possible leaking of information. Well, I went to go view the mailboxes to try and track down this person, when i realized that none of the mailboxes where appearing on squirrelmail. I tried clicking on WebMail on the pop3 email accounts page, but then it prompted me for the password to the account. So, now i have no access to email accounts that i am paying for on my shared hosting system.

I emailed my web hosting provider asking what was up and they replied that it was a change the developers of cPanel made and there was no way to enable it again. This is rather irritating to me that i have no access to the mail boxes that I am paying for and brings up a security issue with my website as i have no control over what people are sending and receiving through my website. If i get any sort of complaint that someone is sending inappropriate email through my site, I have no way to verify this because I have no access their mailbox.

I'm very much disappointed in this change to the cPanel system.

Thanks,
    Roger Fedor
    Nodeka411.net Administrator

2. larryl

larryl Active Member

Yeah, you can't do that any more since the change to maildir. However, all mail is saved in the mail directory under your site's home directory. It's just a little harder to read your users' mail now.

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Support for this was already added for this when using maildir & cpanel 11.x

4. Nemesis02

Nemesis02 Registered

When will cpanel 11.x reach stable? My hosting provider will not install anything but stable.

5. Peoplespaces

Peoplespaces Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am using the release build. I don't see the option anywhere, What am I missing?

6. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You don't have to do anything its on by default

7. Peoplespaces

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry but that is certainly not the way it is working for me. One needs to sign into all accounts separately now. All mail folders are not shown under the main account in either Horde or Squirrelmail. I am using v11.6.0 - R15076

8. viptexting

viptexting Well-Known Member

Nick is refering to cPanel 11, these feature works again which is awesome, unfortunately this doesn't help you much though....

The only workaround I found while using cPanel 10 was to modify the exim configuration and forward all mail sent to/from the server to a mailbox, however again I don't think this is going to me much help to you either as your on shared hosting whereas we use dedicated machines.

If you have a really nice webhost that knows their way around exim they may stick some custom config in to forward only mail for your domain to a specific mailbox in a similar fashion. It's a crude but reasonably effective method, you will get all inbound/outbound mail but also unfortunately all of everyones spam! I got fed up of it after a very short period of time, filtering through sometimes 5000 emails per day was not really a great way to do it, considering we only wanted to check each others email once in a while when we couldnt access the net or something.

EDIT: cPanel 11 site states August 8, 2007 STABLE for stage one, so if your webhost uses autoupdates expect it to appear in 2 weeks, IF, and this is a VERY BIG IF cPanel stick to the schedule. (If your not aware it has been delayed 5-10 times already over the past few months, I think a cPanel staff member rumoured it was close to release on the forum at least 6 months ago now and we had stage 1 hit current/release a couple months or so back... I am usually here moaning about the release date of late however I will say this, cPanel 11 SO FAR is awesome, you can see a great deal of thought and effort has been put into the HUGE improvements to the front end, however as with many others here, I am not going to be happy until the now almost 10 years (;)) old Apache 2 is at least on CURRENT!!!!)

#8 viptexting, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  9. Peoplespaces

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ummm I am using v 11

10. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel 11 will only perform this feature for accounts setup after upgrading from cPanel 10 to cPanel 11. For pre-existing accounts, on systems using maildir, one merely needs to create a symlink from the account directory to the main mail directory.

See http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=4362 for more details

I'm sure someone could create a simple script to do this, or, for those that don't want to bother, open a support ticket.

11. viptexting

Ah got you mixed up with the original poster :)

12. viptexting

Also if your accounts were setup on an earlier version of cPanel pre-maildir like all of mine were, when you update to cPanel 11 everything goes magically back to how it was before :)

13. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you need it for old accounts I believe its

/scripts/linksubemailtomainacct

14. isputra

isputra Well-Known Member

Or you can install CMM from http://www.configserver.com/cp/cmm.html

You can do what ever necesary to your client's mail accounts like :

* View, edit and delete email accounts
    * View, edit and delete email forwarders
    * View, edit and delete email filters
    * View and modify email account quotas
    * Modify email account passwords

Thanks to chirpy for that.

15. CoreISP.net

CoreISP.net Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    That's already possible by logging in with root-override to the clients cPanel,
    i'm not sure why you would install a addon for it?

16. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

Because a root-override leaves your IP behind to alert the client that someone else was logged in to their cPanel?

And, Chirpy's script is much lighter-weight and easier to use... runs VERY fast (unlike all the graphics-laden GUI-loading and cPanel script calls with logging into cPanel -- watch your server's "top" sometime while logging into cPanel)...

And you can mass-delete e-mails with Chirpy's script, in literally just a click or two -- you can't do that anywhere as quickly or efficiently within cPanel.

There is a lot of functionality in Chirpy's free Mail Manage script that makes life much easier. Easier, faster, more efficient... literally that one utility alone has chopped our mail-related support effort & time by over 90%.

Seriously, don't knock it 'til ya' tried it. :eek: :) Heaven knows the price is right!! :D

:D Bailey