Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

ProxyPass/ModProxy Issue

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by zizizizz, Feb 21, 2018.

1. zizizizz

zizizizz Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Dear Sir or Madam,

Please excuse the likely blatantly obvious solution to this problem, but I have been speaking with server support for 4 days on how to get this working and they haven't been able to solve or even tell me how I am meant to fix this issue.

Our server has cpanel/whm/easy_apache4 and has three domains that are currently being served by apache (They are have applications created under Create a New Account)
    sitea.com
    siteb.com
    sitec.com

I have a docker image that is running a server (gunicorn/django) on localhost:8000 and have a fourth domain name that I want to make use of on the server. I have not created an account for it because it isn't serving files from public_html or anything like the other three.

sited.com

I was hoping apache would send traffic to localhost:8000 if the $host_name = sited.com
    so in WHM I have added this (below) to the pre_virtual_host in the Include Editor

Home »Service Configuration »Apache Configuration »Include Editor
    Code:
    <VirtualHost *:80>

ServerName www.sited.com
    ServerAlias sited.com

# Let apache serve static files
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    ProxyPass /static/ !
    ProxyPass /media/ !
    Alias /static/ /home/app/static/
    Alias /media/ /home/app/media/

# Gunicorn handle the others
    ProxyPass / http://localhost:8000/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8000/

</VirtualHost>

But it never seems like Apache reads the file and the the url for sited.com never resolves. (curl localhost:8000 on the server has a 200 response) but going to it via sited.com just gives the
    "SORRY! If you are the owner of this website, please contact your hosting provider" message.

Serving the application on a port other than 80 works too but is non-ideal and would rather have apache act as the reverse proxy.

Are there additional steps to take?

Thank you,

zizizizz

#1 zizizizz, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can try setting up an account for the domain name on the cPanel server, and then implement a custom include file for it using the instructions at:

Modify Apache Virtual Hosts with Include Files - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

Ensure to run the following command after setting up the the custom include file:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/ensure_vhost_includes --all-users
    Additionally, I encourage you to vote for the following feature request if you'd like to see native support for Django offered in cPanel & WHM:

Django support

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...