The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTR disappeared

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tomjohnson, Jan 9, 2011.

1. tomjohnson

tomjohnson Registered

Newbie here. I finally figured out how to set a PTR for our site using the WHM control panel. About 12 hours later, I checked DNSGoodies, and for the first time in months, the DNS records were all there, including my newly created PTR. Yesterday, 5 days after all was well, DNSGoodies shows no PTR found. The record entry is still there in the DNS Zone in WHM.

I don't understand how that can happen. Can anyone point me in the right direction, and/or offer a clue how I can prevent it from happening?

Thanks!

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you sure that reverse DNS (PTR) authority was delegated to your server? Most data centers do not delegate this authority to individual customers' servers, requiring their customers to contact the data center to have the PTR record set. If you have not done so already, contact your data center and ask if reverse DNS authority has been delegated to your server.

3. tomjohnson

tomjohnson Registered

Thanks Jared! I fear I am in over my head here . . . And I apologize in advance for the lengthy post, but I don't know what else to do but ask.

Last summer we switched from a shared hosting plan to a VPS plan. The domain I'm trying to 'fix' is 'hosted' on the VPS. I will ask our service provider about authority, though their tech support is not very voluble with explanations . . . But if I do not have the authority, why did WHM allow me to set the record and why did it show up later in a DNSGoodies query? I don't understand . . .

I also read the response you gave to "cpanel dns only question - how to assign IP address the NS?", and that's what got me worried about drowning here. I'm trying to make sense out of the whole DNS zone configuration thing and getting completely befuddled by what I find.

We have two DNS zones defined; one for the domain name and one for xx.xx.xx.in-addr.arpa. The domain name zone defines two NS records for ns1, & ns2.ourdomainname. Our domain name is registered with a different registrar than our hosting company. A whois on our domain shows the other registrar listing our name servers as the ns1 & ns2.ourdomainname. Our site has been findable without problem since we moved to the VPS.

But, a DNS query thru DNSGoodies, while always showing the proper IP address (and MX and NS name and SOA), had never shown a CNAME or PTR record, even though both were defined in the domain name DNS zone.

The original PTR record in that zone had a '1' in the domain column, but the final octet of our IP address is '50' so I changed the '1' to '50'. That did not seem to have any effect.

A few days later, I added a PTR record to the 'in-addr' zone configuration, again using '50' in the first column (and finally discovering that I had to end the domain name with a period!). About 12 hours later was when the DNS query returned a full set of records, including CNAME, and PTR. Now, a week later, we're back to the earlier results.

The only response I've been able to get from our hosting company so far is that "Currently the domain is not pointing to our servers. You need to change the nameservers of the domain to our servers through the Domain manager."

I suspect I'm getting a boiler plate reply aimed at a shared hosting user, but decided to try to figure out how our ns1. & ns2.ourdomainname nameservers were actually configured. (I did not set up the original configuration and have never been this deep into server configuration before.) I fear I cannot make sense out of what I found. So now I'm not sure if my problem is a PTR issue or an entire nameserver issue. I've queried the guy who set it all up, but may not get an answer for several days.

Can you give me any clues based on this description? If not, can I come back and ask about our whole DNS configuration? Is this the right place to do so?

Sorry again for the long post; I appreciate anything you can offer.

tom