The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTR question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by claude, Mar 16, 2006.

1. claude

claude Member

I have a client on my cPanel server that uses an Exchange email server at his company for mail. So I fixed the mx record on my server to point to his exchange server for mail. My question is: Since he uses qwest for the exchange mail server's internet connection, I need to call qwest to setup a reverse dns entry. Do I have them set it up as mail.domain.com or just domain.com?

Currently, he is able to send and receive mail with the exception of sending to the big boys like AOL and Comcast and DNS reports shows no PTR. Sending to AOL and comcast returns a " Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure" error.

thanks, Claude

2. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

You should set it as mail.domain.com, assuming the Exchange server's hostname is mail.domain.com.

This may help to explain why...

Although the above description is for a particular app, it pretty much summarises the process common across most apps.

#2 adept2003, Mar 16, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  3. claude

claude Member

Thanks very much for the reply.

As it stands, the Exchange mail server has a different name than the actual domain name.
    domain name is: tddc-tec.com
    Exchange mail server HELO name is: serverx.tddc.com

I'm confused on how this works as the serverx.tddc.com is not our true domain name, just a Windows Active Directory name. In fact, serverx.tddc.com and just tddc.com are some other persons domain names and have nothing to do with us.

So if I ask Qwest to set the PTR to serverx.tddc.com, which is OUR email servers name, it should work?

I'm a little slow, forgot my helmet at home and have experienced 5 head injuries today alone. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of the help, -C