The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Nameserver setup - i would really appreciate help!!

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by cragdo, Oct 6, 2005.

1. cragdo

cragdo Member

Hey everyone, - I've been trying to set up a public DNS server for the past day and a half and still having trouble...

Let me explain my situation: I have 2 servers. One for clients, one for my main site. The one for clients is called s1. the other is just my root domain. (The main server is NOT going to function as a NS because it has no control panel on it)

Heres what I have done so far:

+ I ordered 2 IP's for my domain that point to the server s1. (where i have whm and where i want my name server to be) I added these to my s1 machine. (in ip functions)
    + I added two A record types ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com (they should be A type correct?) from ev1server.net where i registered the domain.
    + I went in to WHM, went to general setup added ns1.mydomain and ns2. clicked the assign ip, then the other button. (It had an error at first, so I went into DNS functions and added mydomain.com to the dns and it's ip (which is the other server)) and that seemed to fix the error. (The error was like "could not find base domain")
    +I then went to nameserver setup and let that run.
    +I also went to Resolver Configuration and did that to the two nameserver IP's I have.
    +I restarted the entire machine to be safe.
    +I checked /etc/wwwacct.conf
    /etc/resolv.conf
    /etc/nameserverips

which all seem to be outputting correctly. (According to the tutorial - http://forums.ev1servers.net/showthread.php?t=22881&page=1&pp=25&highlight=cpanel+nameserver

I then submitted a request at ev1 to make ns1. and ns2 name servers and they said that it completed.

Is there something I'm missing because when I go to access.enom.com where I have a test domain, It brings up the error: " *****Errors modifying nameservers: Nameserver ns1.v*****.com cannot be registered*****"

What am I doing wrong? :confused: :confused: :confused:

#1 cragdo, Oct 6, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  2. cragdo

cragdo Member

I figured it out.

In ev1servers.net they have a special area for domains that's different from the "main" account

You must log in to the domain management and there is a button to "create" nameservers.

Thats all that was wrong!