public_ftp access by ftp user

graham_w

May 25, 2004
I have disabled anonymous ftp access for the server, and I have a client wanting access to the public_ftp folder for ftp users. Is there a way to allow this access, or will they just have to use a folder in the public_html directory ?

sawbuck

Jan 18, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Probably depends on what kind of access they need/want. Setting 753 permissions on the folder would allow to upload but not list or view files.

graham_w

May 25, 2004
Hi Sawbuck,

I actually meant using cPanel, can the client create an ftp user and give them access to the public_ftp folder ?

OCX

Sep 20, 2003
id advise your client to just create an ftp account within public_html and give user n pass for it

tell them its asecurity risk to have annyomous

i my self dont allow clients do have annymous ftp access..
keeps there account from being used as a warez dump server..and abuse

my clients are ok with it..dont see why yours wont..
many hosts allow this.. i dont think its a good idea..tho im over protective on my server.lol

ccccanada

Jan 17, 2003
do you know how the client can set it up that users can upload to a directory within the public_html folder but not see the files after uploading?
User would have different user/pass combo than main account.

the main account holder would still have to be able to see the files through FTP though.

graham_w

May 25, 2004
OCX said:
id advise your client to just create an ftp account within public_html and give user n pass for it

Yeah thats exactly what I thought and what I had suggested .. I didnt know of a way to do it, and didnt think there was a way .. but thought id ask the question in case I was missing something blatantly obvious.

Cheers