Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

public_html/ being recreated automatically via non-interactive shell?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zbx3x4UyxPy7Ty2, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Zbx3x4UyxPy7Ty2

Zbx3x4UyxPy7Ty2 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am deploying an application using a tool like Capistrano, sending individual commands to the server via a non-interactive shell.

public_html/ for the cPanel account is configured as a symlink, pointing to a path like

Code:
    /home/acctname/public_html -> /home/acctname/app/revisions/201402221245
    When sending 2 commands back to back to 1) remove the existing symlink or the default directory cPanel created and then 2) create a new symlink

Code:
    rm -rf /home/acctname/public_html
    ln -fs /home/acctname/app/revisions/201402221245 /home/acctname/public_html
    Instead of seeing the symlink I expect

Code:
    /home/acctname/public_html -> /home/acctname/app/revisions/201402221245
    I see the following

Code:
    /home/acctname/public_html/201402221245 -> /home/acctname/app/revisions/201402221245
    It seems when the non-interactive shell connection is established to send the command creating the symlink, something is noticing the public_html/ directory no longer exists and is recreating it.

I've checked thoroughly to make sure none of my application code or deployment code is doing this, so I'm wondering: what is causing this behavior?

2. Zbx3x4UyxPy7Ty2

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It looks like /etc/bashrc has the following, which is most definitely the source of my problem

Code:
    if [ ! -e ~/public_html/cgi-bin ]; then
        mkdir -p ~/public_html/cgi-bin
    fi

3. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    First, can you clarity what 'non-interactive' shell you are using? There are a couple scripts that will recreate docroots, but it's possible perhaps the public_htm isn't actually getting removed in the first place. I'm curious though - why do an rm -rf instead of an unlink? Unlink is safer for symlinks:

Code:
    unlink /home/acctname/public_html
    ln -fs /home/acctname/app/revisions/201402221245 /home/acctname/public_html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Zbx3x4UyxPy7Ty2

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    public_html/ is definitely getting removed.

I say "non-interactive" because I have mostly default ssh settings for Capistrano, and it's docs say it assigns a non-login,
    /http://capistranorb.com/documentation/faq/why-does-something-work-in-my-ssh-session-but-not-in-capistrano/

I am not an expert in which startup files are included for login/non-login & interactive/non-interactive shells, but so far /etc/bashrc is the only one I've come across which is definitely trying to recreate the public_html/ directory.

Thank you for your tip about using unlink.

A follow-up question I have is: will /etc/bashrc be reset by cPanel when cPanel updates are performed?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Manually modifications to /etc/bashrc should not be overwritten by cPanel updates. It's often done to prevent the automatic creation of the cgi-bin directory.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. oldchili

oldchili Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you tried executing in succession?

Code:
    rm -rf /home/acctname/public_html && ln -fs /home/acctname/app/revisions/201402221245 /home/acctname/public_html
    I had the same issue when developing my Capistrano deployment scripts. The above solved my problem.