The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

public_html directory inside the username/public_html directory!? Confusion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tech_dom, Jan 9, 2013.

1. tech_dom

tech_dom Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I created my ftp account, then started having trouble seeing my index.html. I finally went through the File Manager and saw that the directory that my files were being uploaded to (which was public_html in my CS5 remote directory), was

/home/domain-username/public_html/username/public_html/index.html

Why would it put a public_html folder inside the username folder inside the original public_html folder where everything should go to in the first place? I don't recall changing anything to make it do that, and I've only had a few hours on it, so there should be no personal reason for this. I am a little irritated, but I will definitely appreciate any help given. Thanks in advance.

Tech_Dom
    :confused:

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Re: public_html directory inside the username/public_html directory!? Confu

Why did you need to create an FTP account? As the cPanel user you don't need to add an added FTP account, you already have one. When you did, assuming the path was set and you left it as is, or no?

Have you spoken to your Hosting Provider about this?

3. tech_dom

tech_dom Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

No, I haven't talked with my host, and I created one because I couldn't get the initial ftp account connected. Would it be a good idea to configure with the initial "Special FTP" account before creating a custom one? I just thought creating a personal one would be a better measure of the permitted access. I appreciate the quick reply by the way, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

And now that I read your reply, heh, I see that the home directory of the account I created is the directory that I first mentioned...should've been easily seen, my fault on that for sure...and it took me a bit to even get access with my account I created, so it's probably the same reason I couldn't start with the initial ftp account...will try and update.

4. tech_dom

tech_dom Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

Much obliged...all connected now.