The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/public_html/mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by FartMan, Nov 1, 2003.

1. FartMan

FartMan Member

When I create new accounts on my cPanel box there is a 'mail' directory created under the 'public_html' directory. None of my existing accounts have had such a directory created. It looks like the permissions are set to 700. Can someone tell me what this directory is for and why a mail directory needs to be in the web root please?

Thanks...

2. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

This most likely allows users to access there e-mail viva http://yourdomain.com/mail/ I never had this issue before so I'm unsure but assuming this is what it is for. You could also have the mail directory in your skelton directory and it is creating it in all your accounts if you do.

3. mickeymouse

mickeymouse Well-Known Member

Dear FartMan,

This is where squirrelmail will look for Email. It will particularly look for a file called INBOX which should contain new mail. So if squirrelmail is there then mail folder will be available under public_html.

Regards,

4. FartMan

FartMan Member

So if I do not offer Squirrel then that dir will not be created nor will it be needed?

5. johndoe

johndoe Active Member

this is what brought me to the forum tonight...

Hello members,
    I am having the exact same issue with public_html/mail. Of the forty or so accounts I've created on the server, only tonight did the new account creation begin to include public_html/mail.

To verify, I checked the public_html directories of serveral of the other accounts, and public_html/mail did not exist.

So I created yet another new account to see if it was a fluke, but public_html/mail appeared in this new account as well.

All the accounts without the public_html/mail directory use squirrelmail, horde and neomail without problems.

Something's odd here.

--johndoe

6. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Support ticket submitted. I asked what it was for.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 28764

7. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Asked this to support ticket a week ago. No reply on the mail directorie. However, it is a bug, as if it was needed and then the user deleted it that would break whatever it was intended for. We just delete the directorie when we create the account.

8. Priest

Priest Registered

Any update on your ticket?

I am having the same problem and would like it fixed. It's not so much of a problem as it is all the inquiries from clients wanting to know what it is for and if they need it, etc...

Thanks,
    -p-

9. FartMan

FartMan Member

I have seen no word on this yet but I have noticed (may or may NOT be a causal relationship) that my server IP got blacklisted at one ISP a few weeks after this all started.

10. casey

casey Well-Known Member

My ticket was replied to, but no answer yet. He said he'd forward it on to the developers. It happens on all cpanel servers, now, though. That's for sure (unless you have an older version), because it's in the create account script. One could probably delete that section, but then cpanel would replace it with the next update, so what's the point?

11. Joshfrom

Joshfrom Well-Known Member

That was a glitch - it served no purpose (but didn't cause any problems either)

It has been removed in the latest EDGE release.

12. FartMan

FartMan Member

It may have caused no probelms for you , but if you handled the tech support calls I had to from customers freaking out you would not say that! :)

13. cyberwisdom

cyberwisdom Well-Known Member

########THIS GUY RIPPED ME OFF!!!!!##########
    I paid him to do a script for me and he never delivered and since it took more than a month Paypal won't refund the money. If anyone knows his IP or real information, Please PM it to me. He is not returning my messages...

Read the RIP OFF thread:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13618