"public_html" owner and group change?

gundamz

Mar 27, 2002
drwxr-x--- 36 baby nobody 4096 Aug 27 20:05 public_html/

Supposely, "public_html" should have baby:baby as the owner and group. Am i right?

However, now, all the "public_html" on the server have username:nobody settling. Any one have the same problem?

UpsideOut

Feb 4, 2003
I had this problem only on one server. It caused CGI's outside of the cgi-bin to fail. A quick chown and chmod solved the problem.

dgbaker

PartnerNOC
Sep 20, 2002
Toronto, Ontario Canada
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
The quick way to change them all.

for rights in `ls -A /var/cpanel/users`; do chown $rights:$rights /home/$rights/public_html; done

This will change the owner and group back

for CPAccess in `ls -A /var/cpanel/users`; do chmod 755 /home/$CPAccess/public_html; done

This one sets the access to 755

RedFutura

Jun 11, 2003
If you set it that way then you will have problems with phpsuexec which will give you 404 or 403 errors when loading the website.

It should be user:nobody. It is normal if you have problems executing cgi's outside cgi-bin, for security reasons. That is why the cgi-bin forlder was invented for ;)

bonnmac

Apr 26, 2003
Okay, I have users who's cgi scripts aren't working, however public_html is nobody.user and cgi bin is user.user Now, they aren't getting 500 errors, they are getting 404 errors, and files are there. Any ideas?

bonnmac

Apr 26, 2003
That's what I meant, sorry. public_html is user.nobody already. cgi-bin is user.user and cgi files are user.user & chmodded to 0755 because we have suexec installed.

Weird thing is scripts were working, and all the sudden stopped. Just a 404 page not 500 or other configuration error.

Website Rob

Mar 23, 2002
Alberta, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I just had a look in: /var/cpanel/users

Two accounts (on different Servers) that were created "just today" have different settings. I have not heard back from either account, about any problems, but wonder if your problem is related to that file -- seems to be the only thing left. ;)

Look for the ID's of the problem accounts:
see if their settings are: root.root
see if accounts without problems are: cpanel.root