The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public_html owner and group

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Feemish, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Feemish

Feemish Member

Hi,

Whenever I create an account using whm the public_html folder has the following permissions.

0750 owner<username> group<nobody>

Is that correct? and is that the standard permissions for public_html folders.

I am trying to get a shopping cart called 'actinic' to work on my server, and I have been advised to change the ownership of public_html to <nobody>

chown -R nobody:nobody /home/<username>/public_html

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The ownerships are correct

The ownerships (not permissions; permissions are different) of public_html should be accountuser:nobody. Changing the ownerships to nobody:nobody is not recommended, because it will allow any account on the server to read and possibly write to that directory.

What is the software trying to do, that changing the ownerships to nobody:nobody is advised? Is it trying to write to the directory? It sounds like that is happening, and you are using DSO as the PHP handler. A much better solution would be to use suPHP as the PHP handler. suPHP runs all PHP scripts as the account user, and everything needs to be owned by the account user and group, not nobody.

3. Feemish

Feemish Member

Yes, Actinic is trying to write to that directory.. it is a stock level file that is adjusted by the cart.

Yes suPHP... but lots of sites on the server and looking for a simple fix.

At the moment the owner is <username> group is <nobody>, but the cart cant access the file it needs to change.

I am the only member of the actinic forum unable to get my cart to work. No one else has this problem. If these are the standard settings for public_html then I cant figure out why no-one else has this issue.