Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

public_html permissions revert to 755

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bmett, Apr 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bmett

bmett Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Can somebody tell me why the public_html directory of all accounts gets reverted to 750 permissions? I need the permissions to be 755, but it seems, that WHM/cpanel is reverting those to 750 on a regular (daily?) basis.
    Is that a cronjob doing that? What script would cause this? Can I stop this?
    Cheers,

2. SysSachin

SysSachin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,
    Is there a reason you want to set 755 permission as public_html should be 750 on cPanel server.

3. bmett

bmett Well-Known Member

Maybe you are right and I approached this the wrong way.
    Changing the all public_html permissions to 755 would allow any user on the server to access all public_html folders on the server right?
    What I want to achieve is to only allow one specific user on the server to access all public_html folders on the server. How would I do that?
    Cheers,

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The File Protect functionality will check the permissions and ownership values on each user account's public_html directory and each addon domain's DocumentRoot directory and then set the values accordingly. It also takes into whether modules such as Mod_Ruid2 are enabled, which changes how the ownership values are configured on the public_html directory. As of cPanel 62, it defaults to on and is controlled via "WHM >> Tweak Settings". Here's the relevant section the cPanel 62 Release Notes:

Regarding your other question:

This is unsupported and considered a bad security practice. Could you let us know what in-particular you are attempting to achieve with this type of setup so we can suggest a potential alternative?

Thank you.