The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Publish/Image question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bigpapi, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Bigpapi

Bigpapi Registered

Hello,
    I am new here.

I am trying to publish my site using cPanel, but when I do, the images don't show up.

I have created an images folder in the html directory, and then I move them over. Is there an easy way to have them automatically go to the folders?

Yes, I am a total noob about this, so please talk slow. =)

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

All files for your web site go under the /public_html folder which is the top of your web site so if your web address were http://www.domain.tld and you put your files in /public_html then those files would appear at http://www.domain.tld.

In the same way, if you were to put an image file say "photo.jpg" in /public_html/images then that file would be accessed on the web as http://www.domain.tld/images/photo.jpg

(Notice that the web address itself never has "/public_html/" in it)

When putting in links to your image files, just make sure that you make those links relative to where you put those files. If they are directly dropped in public_html then you can call them as "/filename" but if you put them someplace lower on the folder tree such as /public_html/images then you would want to call them as "/images/filename" in your web page code and hyperlinks.

All your links should be relative to where you placed the files

3. Bigpapi

Bigpapi Registered

Working Links

Hello,
    Sorry for the silly question, but I am new and trying to figure some things out.

What is the structure so my links will work?

I published my home page to the public HTML folder. Now I want to link a Contact Us page.

Do I create a new folder for that? And in that folder keep all the images from the page? Do I want to rename the file to index.html, as long as it is in the new contactus folder? In regards to the hyperlink to get from the home page to the contact us page, would it be the complete URL, or just contactus.html (or something of the like)

Thanks

4. Bigpapi

Bigpapi Registered

Ok, I may resolved this. I asked a similar question earlier about images. I published the contactus.html page, and I am keeping everything in the public HTML folder.

Is that ok? Will that cause any issues later by having it too cluttered?

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There's really no need to create multiple threads for the same issue. Those 2 threads have been merged together.

Your questions are not cPanel related and would be better asked of your host.

Good luck with your new site.

6. Bigpapi

Bigpapi Registered

I am not sure they were the same question really. But I can also see being moved the newbie section of the forum.

Is this not a forum that assists with using the cPanel product? If not my appologies, I was under the impression that if I purchase this product, that these forums are in place to help me with this product and making sure I am using it correctly. In other words, I am the host and I am trying to learn.

I do not have the background of most others here, so again, sorry for being a newbie, but there are things that I do not know, and could really use the expertise of the members here.

Thank you

7. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    There is no technical problem with keeping the HTML files and graphical image content in the same directory or folder. As the webmaster or web site designer, you may decide which specific directory or folder to store specific files in. I believe the answer to this depends more on your personal preference for how the site will be designed versus what technical hurdles that may be at play. From my experience, I found it more desirable to have web site files and directories setup in an organized manner whenever possible. For example, it may ease site management by organizing images into a specific images folder, organizing CSS (cascading style sheets) into another folder, and JS (JavaScript) into their own as well; however, both CSS and JavaScript could be included in the same files as the HTML, so it is not required to separate them as either way will still work.

Example directory layout, depending on what type of content is stored:
    Code:
    ~/public_html/
    ~/public_html/css/
    ~/public_html/images/
    ~/public_html/js/
    Regarding an earlier question of the source paths or links to use: I recommend that if the page, image, or other content is local to the same web site (e.g., involving the same domain name), then a relative path should be used (i.e., relative to the HTML document or relative to the root of the web site's domain), where as if the page, image, or content is from a remotely-hosted or third-party web site, then typically it is required to use the full, absolute URL. For additional clarification and reference I suggest the following third-party article from the Adobe knowledge-base: Document-relative, site root-relative and absolute paths

You are welcome to post questions; I believe Infopro meant well in that it can oftentimes help to group similar discussions into the same thread. Unless it is explicitly stated or noted, it can be difficult to accurately determine whether or not someone handles their own reseller hosting account, full dedicated server, both of which would have access to the Web Host Manager (WHM) area of the control panel, or if someone primarily uses only cPanel, such as an end-user without WHM access. Typically it is the web hosting service provider (or server hosting provider, etc.) that is first in line to answer initial getting-started questions, of which some hosts also offer web site builder features and or templates to help simplify the process of creating a new web site.

In my professional opinion, I would consider using a dedicated software application solely intended for web site design and web site management; I believe this route will help greatly in terms of getting started, advancing quickly and especially to ease the process of managing the web site's complete structure and process of publishing content. However, as with anything new to be tried, there would be a learning curve involved and so I recommend seeking help from someone that can offer local, one-on-one assistance while getting to know how everything works.

If you have any specific questions with regard to how cPanel and WHM works, please do let us know; we are here to help. :)

P.S., For cPanel/WHM-specific information I recommend reviewing our official documentation at the following web site: cPanel/WHM Documentation Intro

#7 cPanelDon, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  8. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sorry my comment was a bit brief, let me expand on it a bit more if I may.

Yes this is a forum as I understand it for users to assist each other with their cPanel servers. Creating websites is not a part of that though, websites are hosted on a server but are not a part of the server.. Nowhere in the documentation for website owners cPanel User Guide does it mention anything about actually creating webpages.

If you have a problem with your cPanel powered server, you couldn't have selected a better forum to post to.

But, if you are learning to create a website and want to learn, this forum is no where near the top of the list for that sort of thing, in fact I'd rate it close to the bottom of the list. This topic is simply not discussed here. Not due to forum rules and guidelines but because there are plenty of other websites that cover that topic better.

Here is one of many that does:
    Introduction to HTML - w3schools.com

Suggesting you contact your host is a valid suggestion as most professional hosts will be able to offer you a variety of suggestions (Fantastico and other various site builders they may offer) to make sure that you succeed in getting done what you seek to do. If you're new and have no clues about website builders or software that can help, asking your host is a great place to start.

Both of your threads were indeed related, IMO, as they both pertained to working on your website. There are documents for cPanel's File Manager to upload files via cpanel you might find useful for describing cPanel's File Manager options. But note there are no docs there about working on a website.

The site you have in your profile appears to be hosted by godaddy. Godaddy support has plenty of documentation and offerings for building websites.

I was not being short with you in my original reply, I was only suggesting that there might be a better way to go. Although I could have worded it a bit differently.