The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Publishing spf records

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hostricity, Feb 2, 2006.

1. hostricity

hostricity Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    I am looking at publishing spf records for our customers (and new customers).

I do NOT want to activate spf verification of email received on our servers. I only want to publish spf records so that those who do spf verification will be able to verify email coming from our servers.

So, here are my questions:

1. I plan to add the following to our DNS templates for web account creation:

%domain%. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr ip4:%ftpip% a:%nameserver% a:%nameserver2% -all"
    I think this will setup an spf record for each new hosting (domain) account. Does this look correct?

2. Do I need to publish spf records for our server domain which is also the actual name of our mailservers on a machine? (I see that this domain is in the headers of each email I receive from a domain hosted on the server.) Or, do I simply publish a record as in (1.) above for the primary domain?

3. If my customer uses their isp's outgoing mail server will publishing the spf record for that domain cause outgoing mail to be bounced?

4. Will publishing an SPF record for the primary domain on a server have any impact on email sent by other domains on that server or sent from their isp's domain?