The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Publishing to New Domain - Before DNS changes

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Umbrafx, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Umbrafx

Umbrafx Registered

I have a dedicated server using cPanel and a new hosting customer that has a question.

Is there any method to Publish his web page files to the newly setup domain - before he makes the DNS changes?

He has his domain being hosted by another host at this time and does not want to have any down time if possible.

I have shown him how to FTP into the new domain, but some of his pages need to be published to maintain some links and Form tools.

I do use the http://hostname/~username for new customers, so they can FTP files into the new domain prior to the DNS changes - but this only works for the MS FrontPage files that do not contain the (Post, Form, Email) commands.

When I have tried to use the http://hostname/~username/
    or http://IPaddress/~username/ to Publish files into the new domain - it transfers the files into the ROOT Directory. I have not been able to successfully redirect the transfer path to the /public_html directory.

Is there any truth to the method of using both the new and the old DNS information in the domain control panel?
    I have been told by some people that if he were to add my Name Servers to the list for his domain - his old server would still be live to the net visitors and he could access the new server using the IPaddress. Have you heard about this method?

If the old server would still be live, I could see creating an index.htm that only contained an auto-redirect to the old server.

I have thought about setting up a sub-domain in one of my active domains - allow him to publish his site to the sub-domain, and then set up a simple redirect from his new domain to the sub-domain. Once the DNS changes take hold he could take his time to publish the site to the new domain - then replace the redirect index.htm with the real one.

What do you think?

Thanks
    UmbraFX

2. DJ_Max

DJ_Max Member

Can i ask what FTP program is he using?
    Because I've did the same thing before, and you just do the same steps you would normally do.
    Host: YOURSERVER DOAMIN OR IP
    usename: HIS CPANEL USERNAME
    password: HIS CPANEL PASSWORD
    Then depending on his FTP he just has to browse to the www or public_html folder.

Hoped that was of some help :D

3. commando

commando Registered

I know this is an old thread, but can anyone clarify if this is possible? I'd like to transfer my server to a new provider with the minimum possible downtime. If this works it'd be perfect for me.

Thanks

Commando

4. Jasio

Jasio Active Member

From personal experience, I've found that if you are waiting for your domain to propagate, simply FTP into your server via its IP directly, using the corresponding usernames and passwords and it should work fine.

5. commando

commando Registered

Thanks Jasio. What I meant was how could you do a near instantaneous changeover. I got a reply from my ISP tech support that said the following, hopefully it helps someone else.