The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purchase an SSL cert in WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mpope2, Dec 18, 2002.

1. mpope2

mpope2 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Ok, I do agree that purchasing an SSL cert through WHM does seem to be a good idea... BUT! We, as well as I'm sure many other companies, would not like this option available to our dedicated server / reseller customers.

Main reason being: We resell SSL certs to our clients, so by WHM offering this, you are circumventing our SSL sales path, and thus we are losing sales. Now, I have no idea if CPanel gets a % comission on each SSL cert that is purchased through WHM (it would seem that this would be a fairly easy thing to setup for them & secureCRT)... but the point is.. they *could* do this now or in the future.

Now, maybe I am over-reacting a bit? Well, then I ask you... what's next? Allowing people to purchase domain names through the WHM ? This would seem to be a pretty good idea.. but again, would circumvent another one of our sales paths, and would cost us money in the long run.

Another example - purchase a cpanel / whm skin through the WHM interface. Ok, sounds like a good idea - but we also sell custom skins to our ded. server clients, and are now probably losing sales to some of the built in purchasing options of WHM!

So, I believe this issue needs to be addressed. It really is not that big of a deal right now... but it really scares me to where this could eventually go.

Anyway... please do think about this. I would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

2. orca

orca Well-Known Member

I think it was useful for me. But you're right, if you sell Certs then it's against you. Maybe there should be an option to turn it off for resellers.

3. mpope2

mpope2 Well-Known Member

Yes, this is kinda what I was thinking. But it does lead to a problem... if we turn it off on our ded. server clients, there would be nothing stopping them from turning it back on! (And many of them probably would!)

Maybe just the ability to set what page loads when the link is clicked (at install time, or somewhere in a text file on the server). I figure this would be good enough... if a client wants to go through the trouble of editting a text file to redirect to a different site to buy the SSL cert, etc. then they probably wouldn't have bought from us anyway.

Keep the ideas rolling, I really want to see if there are other people who would like to see this happen, or if I'm just out in left field here....

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Another option is to use a modified WHM theme with the link removed.