The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purchasing a SecureCRT from WHM - A Rip!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ozzi4648, Dec 13, 2002.

1. ozzi4648

ozzi4648 Guest

The first cert i purchased for my server was lost due to some config problem in my WHM a few weeks back. I decided to look into the link called &PURCHASE AND INSTALL A SSL CERT& under the heading SSL/TLS in my WHM. After clicking on this option i was given the options of choosing a wide range of certs including a price list. $49 was all it cost of the cert so in contined with the installation of the cert and all that worked fine. Then i was sent to SecureCRT's website to make payment. Its now listed as costing US$118.00. Im a big perplexed about this because the priced as listed in the WHM price list guide is $49.00. Sent them e-mail and still no response.

2. mpope2

mpope2 Well-Known Member

Just buy a chained cert from www.freessl.com . Only $15 and works great! No complaints of browser incompatibility so far....

;)

3. ThunderHostingDotCom

ThunderHostingDotCom Well-Known Member

[quote:c2d571c784][i:c2d571c784]Originally posted by mpope2[/i:c2d571c784]

Just buy a chained cert from www.freessl.com . Only $15 and works great! No complaints of browser incompatibility so far....

;) [/quote:c2d571c784]

Wow, why are they so cheap?

4. ThunderHostingDotCom

ThunderHostingDotCom Well-Known Member

[quote:8c767592fa][i:8c767592fa]Originally posted by ozzi4648[/i:8c767592fa]

The first cert i purchased for my server was lost due to some config problem in my WHM a few weeks back. I decided to look into the link called &PURCHASE AND INSTALL A SSL CERT& under the heading SSL/TLS in my WHM. After clicking on this option i was given the options of choosing a wide range of certs including a price list. $49 was all it cost of the cert so in contined with the installation of the cert and all that worked fine. Then i was sent to SecureCRT's website to make payment. Its now listed as costing US$118.00. Im a big perplexed about this because the priced as listed in the WHM price list guide is $49.00. Sent them e-mail and still no response.[/quote:8c767592fa]

I was planning on using that link next week to buy a cert myself. Did you bring this up to Nick/cPanel? If so what did they say?

5. Altaire

Altaire Registered

It has shown the price US$118 probably because when you order an SSL certificate using WHM it defaults to enabling the TrustLogo option which is an extra product available with each certificate.

You do not have to buy TrustLogo and you can choose not to purchase this by selecting to buy only the SSL certificate when you fill out the request.

Then you should only be billed $49

BTW freessl.com are so cheap because:

a/ They don't validate
    b/ They only offer email support
    c/ There are no guarantees with their products
    d/ They don't offer refunds or re-issues

6. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    [quote:58cedeea65][i:58cedeea65]Originally posted by Altaire[/i:58cedeea65]

a/ They don't validate
    d/ They don't offer refunds or re-issues[/quote:58cedeea65]

Which is why the old &you get what you pay for& sometimes holds true. There are certain things you should not skimp on.

7. Altaire

Altaire Registered

Yes indeed, what use is a trust/security product issued without thorough validation, hardly going to instil faith in site visitors who know how companies like this operate.

The WHM SSL product for $49 follows the same tough validation principles as Thawte/Verisign which is possibly why cPanel went for it

KPMG did a paper on why non-validated SSL is so bad. The full .pdf is available here:

http://home.aigonline.com/content/0,1109,13137-1456-cfo,00.html

8. mpope2

mpope2 Well-Known Member

[quote:a230ce335a][i:a230ce335a]Originally posted by Altaire[/i:a230ce335a]

a/ They don't validate
    d/ They don't offer refunds or re-issues[/quote:a230ce335a]

Most visitors do not view the certificate details anyway... so how are they going to know the difference between a validated or non-validated certificate?

I have been very happy with the chainedssl cert from freessl.com . I am also a true believer in &you get what you pay for&. However, for $15 I was expecting a crappy cert, and got a fully functional and (what seems to be) very compatible cert. Now, it is true that we use a thawte cert on our site, and probably won't be using the chainedssl one for that... but there are some good uses for them like using it to secure your clients' WHM, or to offer a server-wide cert, etc.

As far as the differences... as long as you backup your cert and keys, you shouldn't need a refund or re-issue. You can find help elsewhere if you have problems with it (ie.. WHT). So, the big difference would be the validation thing.

Anyway... that's just my $.02 :)

9. anton

anton Member

Validation of certificates is a joke. Anyone with bad intentions could easily come up with the papers they ask for validation, so a good reason not to just trust the validation of a certificate when you are shopping online. It also makes the validation by these companies a joke and absolete.

10. Altaire

Altaire Registered

Validation of certificates is a joke ----

I strongly disagree with this. Validation is not a joke - to fraudulently request a cert you may be required to produce fake driving licenses, passports etc.

Anyone who's willing to comit such a serious fraud in order to obtain an SSL certificate deserves to be caught.