The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pure FTP help :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aaron1988, Jan 21, 2011.

1. aaron1988

aaron1988 Member

Hi i have FTP isntalled and that but when try to restart it via whm manager i get:

Code:
    Waiting for ftpserver to restart...............finished.

pure-authd (/usr/sbin/pure-authd -s /var/run/ftpd.sock -r /usr/sbin/pureauth) running as root with PID 26102

ftpserver has failed, please contact the sysadmin.
    and if i try restartt via command line in SSH i get this.

Code:
    Stopping pure-config.pl: cat: /var/run/pure-ftpd.pid: No such file or directory
    kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]

Stopping pure-authd:
    Starting pure-config.pl: Running: /usr/local/sbin/pure-ftpd -O clf:/var/log/xferlog --daemonize -A -c50 -B -C8 -D -fftp -H -I15 -lextauth:/var/run/ftpd.sock -L10000:8 -m4 -s -U133:022 -u100 -Oxferlog:/usr/local/apache/domlogs/ftpxferlog -k99 -Z -Y1 -JHIGH:MEDIUM:+TLSv1:!SSLv2:+SSLv3
    /usr/local/sbin/pure-ftpd: invalid option -- O
    421 Unknown authentication method: extauth:/var/run/ftpd.sock
                                                               [FAILED]
    Starting pure-authd:

Pleaase help

Regards,
    Aaron

2. iakela

iakela Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Check the following line in /etc/pure-ftpd.conf:

# PAMAuthentication yes
    # UnixAuthentication yes

These both lines should be comment.

In other case, try reisntall pure-ftpd:

/scripts/ftpup --force

3. aaron1988

aaron1988 Member

Hi those lines are commented, and i already tried to reinstall and still the same when done.

i tried the /scripts/ftpup --force again just to be sure but at end of install it says this:

Code:
    Waiting for ftpserver to restart...............finished.

pure-authd (/usr/sbin/pure-authd -s /var/run/ftpd.sock -r /usr/sbin/pureauth) running as root with PID 21730

ftpserver has failed, please contact the sysadmin.
    Install Complete

Aaron

#3 aaron1988, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  4. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Aaron,

Can you check /var/log/messages for errors. If you find any errors please paste it here so that I can have a recheck on it.

5. aaron1988

aaron1988 Member

Hi i believe this is the error which causes it

Jan 21 19:07:20 ip-188-121-63-80 pure-ftpd: (?@?) [ERROR] Unable to start a standalone server: [Address already in use]
    Jan 21 19:08:17 ip-188-121-63-80 pure-ftpd: (?@?) [ERROR] Unable to start a standalone server: [Address already in use]
    Jan 21 19:11:57 ip-188-121-63-80 pure-ftpd: (?@?) [WARNING] Unknown run-time option
    Jan 21 19:11:57 ip-188-121-63-80 pure-ftpd: (?@?) [ERROR] Unknown authentication method: extauth:/var/run/ftpd.sock
    Jan 21 19:14:09 ip-188-121-63-80 pure-ftpd: (?@?) [WARNING] Unknown run-time option
    Jan 21 19:14:09 ip-188-121-63-80 pure-ftpd: (?@?) [ERROR] Unknown authentication method: extauth:/var/run/ftpd.sock
    Jan 21 19:26:39 ip-188-121-63-80 pure-ftpd: (?@?) [WARNING] Unknown run-time option
    Jan 21 19:26:39 ip-188-121-63-80 pure-ftpd: (?@?) [ERROR] Unknown authentication method: extauth:/var/run/ftpd.sock
    Jan 21 19:30:52 ip-188-121-63-80 pure-ftpd: (?@?) [WARNING] Unknown run-time option
    Jan 21 19:30:52 ip-188-121-63-80 pure-ftpd: (?@?) [ERROR] Unknown authentication method: extauth:/var/run/ftpd.sock

Regards,
    Aaron

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Aaron,

Please check for this line in /etc/pure-ftpd.conf file:

Code:
    #CallUploadScript yes
    It should be commented out. If it is not, then comment it out and try to restart FTP:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd restart
    If this was the case that the line was uncommented (didn't have the # sign in front of it), can you please check this file:

Code:
    grep CallUploadScript /var/cpanel/conf/pureftpd/main
    If CallUploadScript is listed in that /var/cpanel/conf/pureftpd/main file, take it out and save the file.

If it isn't the case that CallUploadScript was uncommented in the /etc/pure-ftpd.conf file, please open a ticket for us to investigate further. You can use WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or the link in my signature.

7. aaron1988

aaron1988 Member

Hey cheers its ok now as me mate put in for a reprovision with host and we did backups but i not happy as Cpanel corrupted one of my clients sites with 30,000 images :( so dunno what to do or if i can get it back :(

Aaron

8. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Aaron,

Sorry to hear about that. :( Normally, you can open a ticket with us if you cannot get a service such as FTP working to avoid reprovisioning like that. That might be something to keep in mind for the future if you ever have another service that will not start.

I'm sorry we didn't get to your post until now to check into the FTP issue. I've seen those errors before (the "Unknown run-time option" and "Unknown authentication method: extauth:/var/run/ftpd.sock") and it's usually the line I indicated causing it (CallUploadScript being uncommented).

Thanks.

9. aaron1988

aaron1988 Member

awww ok, but our host godaddy told us it wasnt fixable :( well told my mate