Pure FTP TLS Cipher Setting

ErkDog

Jan 26, 2004
So seemingly randomly Filezilla stopped allowing FTPES and was giving a handshake error.

Long story short, I tracked it down to this:

TLSCipherSuite: "!aNULL:!eNULL:!EXPORT:!DSS:!DES:RC4-SHA:RC4-MD5"

When WHM Builds the pure-ftpd.conf it does NOT put the double quotes there.

Pure FTP was seemingly ignoring the configuration directive.

Clients which supported older SSL/TLS would connect fine, but not FileZilla as it had retired the older methods.

I was negotiating at RC4-SHA 128Bit in FlashFXP.

(@) [INFO] SSL/TLS: Enabled TLSv1/SSLv3 with RC4-SHA, 128 secret bits cipher

After adding the double quotes, Filezilla is now working again, and both clients negotiate @

Feb 13 18:45:33 thunder pure-ftpd: (@) [INFO] SSL/TLS: Enabled TLSv1/SSLv3 with AES256-GCM-SHA384, 256 secret bits cipher

Please fix this ASAP, because people are unwittingly allowing ollllllld TLS negotiation since WHM isn't saving the config properly.

Thanks,
Matt

- - - Updated - - -

Update: FlashFXP Negotiates:

Enabled TLSv1/SSLv3 with DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, 256 secret bits cipher

Filezilla Negotiates:

Enabled TLSv1/SSLv3 with AES256-GCM-SHA384, 256 secret bits cipher

Either way, proper high encryption :-D

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

MSC

Registered
PartnerNOC
Jul 2, 2012
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi,

Is there any news regarding this? We are now needing to login with the "plain" password encryption option. I supose that it's related to this

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I couldn't find a support ticket related to this issue, so it appears the original poster never opened a ticket. Could you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look and open an internal case if necessary? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.