The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pure-ftpd 530 errors... not your usual issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jhendrickson, Aug 17, 2005.

1. jhendrickson

jhendrickson Member

Hello,
    First I want to say thanks to anyone who even tries to attempt to help me out. I have come across some really awful threads with people expecting something for nothing, if you can help me troubleshoot this mess at the very least you will have my gratitude.

Due to the recent security warning, I changed our working ftp servers over to pure-ftpd from proftp. Now, all users cannot login even newly created ones are recieving error 530.

I have ftp logging enabled in syslog, and xfer log is just showing me that the user can't be authenticated.
    Aug 17 15:54:44 thunder pure-ftpd: (?@24.1.68.171) [INFO] New connection from 24.1.68.171
    Aug 17 15:54:45 thunder pure-ftpd: (?@24.1.68.171) [WARNING] Authentication failed for user [t@xxxx.net]

This happens with newly created users as well as previosly generated users.

This is what I have done so far.

I have --force reinstalled pure-ftp
    I have reinstalled pro... had the exact same issue then reinstalled pure.
    I have syncronized (sp?) passwords via the link in whm.
    I have downgraded the server to stable.

I am at my wits end here. There are a few architecture companies who use ftp constantly who are very angry with me at the moment.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
    :confused:

#1 jhendrickson, Aug 17, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest a forced reinstall of pure-ftpd, but see you have already tried that.

At this point, I'd suggest logging a support ticket with cPanel and ask them to have a look for you.

3. Holbrookau

Holbrookau Active Member

4. jhendrickson

jhendrickson Member

Thanks for replying

Yeah I went ahead and did that today. Hopefully I will have a further reply tommorrow.
    My boss is none to happy a lot of cpanel broke just lately but I still think its a damn good product we just have to iron out some kinks. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
    :rolleyes:

5. Holbrookau

Holbrookau Active Member

cPanel have updated the CURRENT package to 10.5.0-C72 - doing a scripts/upcp appears to have solved the FTP issue for me (not to say that it hasn't broken something else of course)..

6. jhendrickson

jhendrickson Member

So far nothing good

Well the tech from cpanel has logged into the server as root. I have given him some newly created test ftp accounts and I am eagerly awaiting his advice. Keep your fingers crossed for me folks.
    Oh and I am running cpanel version
    root@thunder [/home/]# cat /usr/local/cpanel/version 10.5.0-CURRENT_64

So maybe upcp will fix this for me, I just dont want it trashing my /etc/alwaysrelay and /etc/localdomains files again.. as well as apparently breaking some fantastico stuff.

Well he logged out while I was typing this. I hope this means good news.

7. jhendrickson

jhendrickson Member

I have with the help of nickn from cpanel figured out what happened during my last upcp to break pure-ftd

In both /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow there are duplicate entries. The entries in /etc/passwd with a shell of noshell and the entries in etc shadow with just :!!! and a few characters are both erroneous and pureftpd is using them instead of the real hash which is also listed in the file.

Just do

cp /etc/passwd /etc/pass.old
    cp /etc/shadow /etc/shad.old

then do sort /etc/shadow | less

you will then see the dupe entries remove the ones with :!! UNLESS they are for a system daemon!

Then in /etc/password delete the lines ending in noshell instead of ending in jailshell, UNLESS they are for a system daemon.

Problem is then fixed.

I want to say thankyou to everyone that responded thank you chirpy and nickn especially!

Hope I can contribute in the future.

-james

8. netwrkr

netwrkr Well-Known Member

I'm glad that worked for you, but no such success on my end. I've tried everything listed in this post and http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=38146 to include reinstalling pure-ftpd. Hopefully cpanel will jump on this and fix the issue once and for all. My helpdesk is getting a workout from customers unable to ftp in. Most cannot understand why they are now having to use username@domain.com now, when they've never had to in the past.

9. mikesouth

mikesouth Member

same probem here...God save us from updates on a friday night...ruined my whole weekend

10. mikesouth

mikesouth Member

I fixed this by changing my updates from current to stable and updating cp

set everything like it was before the change

ftp works again...

I had cpanel tech no-support on this all day and all they managed to do was poke around in my server a bit

6 hours later...I fixed it myself....something about if you want something done right...

needless to say I am NOT very happy with cpanel right now...hopefully it'll pass